Orlistat- Newbie

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm from Canada and just started taking Orlistat. I'm on day three. I have had 3 days off work, that is why I started it then but am afraid what will happen when I am at work tomorrow. I have a few oily issues and have tried to really restrict any non essential fats so as I don't have an accident in public. I am considering taking a change of clothes to work just in case. LOL. Isn't that sad? I need to lose about 60 pounds. I have never been this heavy even when at term with pregnancies. Menopause has hit me really hard. My doctor gave me no instructions, but my pharmacist did. He told me not to take the pills if just having slad as you need to have some fat in the meal to take otherwise you may get gastro issues. I told him if I just ate salads I probably wouldn't need this medication. LOL. Anyway, just looking for other like minded people and support and ideas. Good Luck everyone!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen, I am starting week 2 today & I have been fine. I've noticed going toilet bit more often but nothing out the ordinary really. Maybe when in work restrict yourself to just a salad, yog, fruit for lunch etc so reducing your chance of an 'accident'. Good luck smile

• Posted

Thanks for yur reply Claire. Work went ok. I was pretty nervous but all was ok. I did take a change of clothes however, just in case. I have decided when at work I will really try to restrict the fat in the foods I take especially right now because I am still at the point of not knowing when all of a sudden I will be hit with the urge to use the bathroom. I feel good on this medication however so that is good. Have you done a weigh in yet and I am wondering if you have lost any weight or inches and and how much you are wanting to lose? I am hoping to see some change after a week. Thanks again and good luck to you too!
  • Posted

Hiya, I'm 4 weeks in I found the first 2 weeks the hardest for oiliness, had a few incidents with cheese so have cut that out of my diet completely also with large amounts of red meat, I think portion control and reading the labels for fat content is key to this diet. My typical lunch is wholemeal pitta (0.2g fat) with chicken salad or if I fancy something warm those cup of soups/ pasta packets hope this helps, good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Kerry-anne. Thanks for the reply. I made it through the last 2 days of work with no "accidents" I took foods for lunch that are very low or fat free to work. I am surprised that  I feel normal while taking this medication because I usually have so many allegies to medications so I was leary trying this, but so far so good. I will be interested to see if I have lost anything at the end of week one. I am trying to make sure I get enough protein and trying to stay around 30-35 gms of fat per day. I love to snack at night so I am trying to just be happy with some rice cakes. Pretty boring but oh well, it's a lifestyle change. After 4 weeks have you lost weight and how much are you hoping or needing to loose? I am going to try to incorporate a bit of biking in in the next days. I used to be fairly active but a knee and back injury have sidelined me so have been pretty sedentary. Hopefully I can get some physical activity in. thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.