Orlistat - please explain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,  my GP has put me on Orlistat to try and kick-start some weight loss.   However there was no explaination as to what I was to avoid.   I have nearly 4 stone to lose and I am at my wits end.   I have now been on the tablet for over 2 months now (when I remember to take it) and have found little difference on the scales.  I have found my clothing a bit looser but that dosent seem to matter, its all about number.    

The last time I was at the GP she did say this would be the last month she would be allowed to keep me on the tablet if she did not see a significant weight loss.  I excercise, I go walking at weekends but there is no great feedback on the scales.    I am on Thyroxid as well and over the last week have been feeling fairly light headed.  

Anyone in the same position as me and do you have any advice I could follow for this 'significant' weight loss I need within the next 3 weeks. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mo

I have also just started Orlistat - second day. I was put on it as I find it very difficult to lose weight and have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

I think the main thing is to try and cut out as much fat as possible in your diet. A good tool to try is a calorie calculator and try and make a menu plan for each week. I have read on here that you are allowed up to 15g of fat per meal.

I know it is all common sense anyway but the majority of us just need direction. If you calculate your ideal weight and height on Google, it will tell you the amount of calories to stick to, in order to lose weight. The calorie calculater will tell you how many calories and grams of fat are in each food. So if you need 1200 calories a day to lose weight, you can make a diary of what to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, then leave some extra calories for a treat each day so you do not deprive yourself.

I have recently joined the Gym and my instructor informed me the best workout is circuit weight training and half an hour cardio - 15 minutes walking on a treadmill and 15 minutes on the cross trainer. Apparently doing weights builds your motabolism and muscle which allows you to lose weight quicker and effective. I do arms 15 reps six times and legs six times - arms, legs, arms, legs, arms, legs etc. Maybe you could try this at your gym rather than cardio (assuming that is what you do).

I think the doctor should be mindful that what you see on the scales, does not mean weight loss. The first thing my instructor told me is "do not rely on the scales, do not get obsessed". The reason why he said this, is because when you work out, you build muscle and if you do this, you may even see your weight going up. You even said it yourself - you found your clothes to be more lose. So maybe, just maybe, you have built up some muscle and HAVE lost weight.

The best thing you can do is grab a tape measure and measure your waist, arms and legs and carry on doing what you are doing. Your doctor should know the above, expecially if you are going to the gym.

So I suggest you telling your doctor that you are working out, ask them to get their bloody tape measure out and measure you. Tell them you now want a three month trial and to visit them once a month and let them measure you. Because the scales might still be high but your inches might be going down.

Keep going, do not get disheartend. Make a food diary and stick to it each week. You can do this.

• Posted

Hi Natty

Would love to know how you are getting on?  Do you have any side effects?   I have been prescribed Orlistat now for two months, my problem is remembering to take it, or to be more honest, not taking it because I have no idea where the next loo is going to be!!   

Do you find that your mind is full of different ideas and ways we used in the past, keep popping up.  No you are not allowed fat, well maybe a little.  No you have to curb what you are eating, no you can eat as much as you like of x,y,z.  My head spins most of the time with all this. 

Keep in touch and let me know how things are going. 

• Posted

Hi Mo

Well I starteted Orlistat on Tuesday - a full day at least. I know i shouldn't but I just weighed myself and it looks like I have lost 2lbs - they say you go up and down 2lbs a day anyway so who knows how real that result is.

It's funny but my bowel movements are at the same time each day. It used to be at 5pm but now it is at 11am and 5pm. I have noticed a small amount of oil when I go but no sudden need to rush to the toilet.

I have not been to the gym as I want to see what results I have without it. After this week I will start again.

I have yet to start a food diary as again, I want to see results after a normal week.

I have two slices of toast a morning and a banana before lunch. At luch I have anything from a tuna and jacket potao or a baguette with crisps. On the evening I just have a normal standard meal. I drink water and tea throughout the day.

I think I consume too much bread in a day so I really need to cut that out. It makes me bloat and feel tired. Carbs usually do.

I think you really need to remember to take it. That is a big part of where you are going wrong. As soon as you finish one of your meals, get a pill in your mouth. If you are scared about toilet issues, where an "always" towel when you are out.

Set a reminder on your phone to take a pill.

Honestly though, if you are having unexpected volcanic sh*ts every hour, you need to reduce your fat intake. But I can honestly say that my bowel movements have a routine.

I really hope you try and put 100% into this because you will feel so much happier.

We can keep messaging each other for support. I am happy with that.

• Posted

Hi Mo, I started Orlistat one week ago and just weighed in and have lost 3lbs this week. I have already lost a stone and a pound off my own back so have lost 1st 4lbs altogether. I'm hoping orlistat will help me lose a steady 2 to 3lbs per week, I would be happy with that. I have another 4 stone to lose. I am keeping a food diary using my fitness pal which really helps keep you right with fat and calorie intake. I haven't had any major toilet issues with orlistat as I'm keeping to the recommended daily fat intake.
    • Posted

Hi Jules you are doing really well.  I have had far more focus reading these notes on here and seeing that there are many others in the same boat.  Have enrolled on WLR (weightloss Resource)site which seems to do the same as MFP which I also have registered but I found it very American.   So WLR seems to be working for me and it lets me list what I have eaten and keeps and eye on what sort of foods have hidden fat and sugar.    These are my main two points I need to keep an eye on. 

I have given up the alcohol for the time being and more focused on not always having to finish what is on the diner plate.  Havent checked in with the doctor yet, another week before that but I am finding my breathing much better and energy levels, although not lasting, are getting better. 

Keep up the good work and hopefully I will be back on track soon. 

• Posted

Hi Mo, Yes its a good idea to stay away from alcohol as much as you can as i've found it can lead to kebab cravings lol. Also the next day you are always looking for comfort food to soothe the hangover. I'm just sticking with simple food such as eggs or porridge in the morning, soup for lunch and meat and veg for dinner. Snacks are fruit etc. Drinking lots of water too.
    • Posted

Hey that's great!

Would you mind briefly telling me what you ate in the week you lost weight? I need to have a rough idea that what I am eating is on the right lines! Thanks you

• Posted

Hi Sapna, I usually have a sachet of porridge with almong milk (one cup) or 2 poached eggs on one slice of toast for breakfast. That usually does me until lunchtime where I have a 600g plate of soup (glorious soup) very low in calories and fat, I like the Tuscan chicken and orzo, I'll have that on its own, try not to have too much bread. Then for dinner I'll have protien and veg, tonight i'm having seabass, sweet potato wedges (done in the oven with 20 sprays of frylight) and veg stirfried (frylight) in teryaki sauce. I try and keep each main meal to 500 calories or under. I usually also have an apple, banana, and pear throughout the day. Also keeping to under 15g of fat per main mean as well. It depends on your weight and what calories you are allowed per day. I am allowed 1500 calories at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi jules thank u for the reply.

I'm veggie so I'm finding it hard to have anything other than carbs. But whatever I do eat I make sure I do not use any butter or oil of any sort so it's not that that I'm having a problem with. Like today for breakfast I had toast with a low fat cheese slice, lunch a pot of low fat quinoa and lentils and for dinner I have done some rice with loads of veg cooked with no oil or any fat so basically stir fried veg and added some rice. Do u think that sounds ok?

Sorry to hassle u lol just hoping to lose this weight! Thank u x

• Posted

Sounds good Sapna. I read a good quote recently, "Every time you eat its an opportunity to nourish yourself". Simple and straightforward smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.