Orofacial granulomatosis - Crohns disease

Posted , 49 users are following.

Hi I have just been diagnosed with orofacial granulomatosis OFG -v uncommon auto immune disease which is dietary related & have been placed on a cinnamon & benzoate free diet which I'm really struggling with. I am having further allergy tests soon & a colonoscopy to see whether I have underlying crohns disease. I was wondering if anybody has this condition that does have or not have crohns? Basically my whole face is swollen, lips & cheeks especially but the diet is definately helping although it just feels my face doesn't belong to me & I have pins & needle feeling all the time in my face :-( Be great to talk to someone who knows how I'm feeling! Thanks Emma :-)

3 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just found this forum - great resource. I'd like to contribute something positive.

My daughter aged 11 was diagnosed with OFG a couple of months ago after a lip biopsy. Not Crohns as she had all the tubes and MRI scans. She embraced a cinnamon and benzoate-free diet enthusiastically.

As with jen999 it was almost magical. In 12 days the splits in the corners of her mouth had gone, the lip swelling was almost gone, and the ulcers almost completely gone. She stopped being sick regularly. After 8 weeks she's almost symptom free.

She gave up chocolate and pizzas, the two things she really liked. (We adopted her and when she came she had eaten entirely rubbish all her life.) We gave her an almost entirely fresh, organic diet. The school helped enormously, the cooks seeing it as a challenge.

We had a mild problem last week on holiday. We got a substitution in a home delivery - not ORGANIC sausages. We foolishly didn't read the label carefully and she flared up. They had nutmeg in them. Of course we can't be certain that was it. But 6 days after, the swelling has gone down again.

People refer to THE C&B -free diet, but there seem to be several. We were given one by the John Radcliffe, Oxford but have found 2 more. We have adopted the approach of avoiding anything that's on any of the lists. One feels a bit of a nit reading the back of every packet in the house/shop, but after 8 weeks we are really good at it! I do admit it's a real pain at the start. We are starting to work on a range of meals she will eat. Suntan lotion is impossible, but luckily she's mixed race!

One of the things that really annoys me is that the EU allows the word "flavourings" on contents; it covers a multitude of cr*p that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a human being. I used not to be a food nazi but I'm rapidly becoming one. (Rant over.)

My daughter is really pleased with the results of the diet and now says she doesn't want chocolate ever again.

I have read somewhere that 70% of OFG sufferers respond well to C&B-free diet, so there is hope. But I fear a totally dedicated regime may be necessary.

• Posted

Hi Bob74 with regards to sun lotion Badger Balm Products and Green People both do sunscreen that is c&b free, however the green people one contains citric acid. We have been told to avoid this for my daughter. Many of the people who post on here are numbers of a closed Facebook page, which has lots of great hints, tips, shared experiences and documents you may find useful. My daughter is 11 next week and was great on the diet to start but has struggled as of late, as she is still getting ulcers even though we follow elimination of citrus, cinnamon and benzoates.

With regards to pizza, which my daughter also loves, Wrights Flours are leading suppliers to the fresh pizzerias, their flour is unbleached and fine for OFG suffers, with a garlic butter base rather than tomato, and a plain topping, she should be fine. Chocolate - Marks & Spencer's white chocolate with vanilla and Lindt 70% cocoa are ok as they do not contain lecithins. Also and chocolate themed products that do not contain lecithins and benzoates, but are derived from a cocoa base should be ok too.

Hope this help with a few treats, because this has to be the worst restrictive diet for children.

• Posted

Dear Ruthyneilo

Thanks, that is most helpful. Unbleached flour was my next search item today.

I am not of the Facebook generation; how do I find where the page you refer to is?

Happy Birthday to your daughter next week!

Bob

• Posted

Hi Bob

The previous post with the Facebook reference is on pg2 towards the bottom.

Dove Farm also do unbleached flour, technically speaking all flour milled in this country and Europe should be unbleached as its a European Law, but it's impossible to enforce that's why the big bread manufacturers didn't give me a response to any emails I sent them. Wrights flours product development manager gave me this information, so I presume he knows his stuff!

Asda provided me with a list of products from their bakery which are all manufactured using unbleached flour, this too is up loaded to the Facebook site.

It might be worth joining Facebook if only for the page, I have found it invaluable, for information and support. Also it's a closed group so only the members can see what you post on the wall. The administrators are very good and tend to delete any disingenuous members!

We've only been following he diet since last April, but as you said you do get good at it quickly, so if you have any other just post!

Can I ask which hospital you daughter attends?

Thanks for the birthday wishes I will pass them on!

Ruth

• Posted

Dear ruthyneilo

She attends the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford. The nutritionists there are very helpful. Her consultant is excellent at motivating her.

Bob

• Posted

Hi, I have orofacial granulomatosis. I was tested for Crohns too but that proved negative. I follow a strictly benzoate-free diet and have found it helps enormously. When not following the diet I would have rectal bleeding and other Chrons-type symptoms but when eating only benzoate-free foods my digestion is well-nigh perfect. I find when I eat something that contains benzoates I get very sleepy and the granulomas swell very quickly indeed. Long term eating of the wrong foods gives me very painful split slips and mouth ulcers.

I have actually started a facebook page to share some of my recipes and other tips. It can be found at https://www.facebook.com/BenzoateIntoleranceSupport if anyone wishes to take a look. (Moderators please note this is nothing more than a page to help people with the same dietary problems.... it is not a business, there is no charge, I am not soliciting for business or promoting my own company.... it's just something fun, so that I can see if others have found better solutions to 'missing' foods than I have.) Thanks and feel free to look me up!

• Posted

Please come and join the 'Orofacial Granulomatosis Support Group' on Facebook. This is a supportive forum to share your personal stories and advice, ask questions and feel part of a supportive community.

See you there.

• Posted

hi all

im only on here and there is some good info my 7 year old son has just been told he has ofg

has anyone got a list of sweets or foods he is aloud to eat ,hes on the cinnanon and benzate

diet. hes had as hell telling a 7 year old that hes not aloud to eat that.

cheers

tommy

• Posted

The OFG group on Facebook is very active and full of good tips. I'm not sure how to point you at it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/71989484120/ might work.

My daughter was 11 when she got the diagnosis and she just accepted it. But 4 years is a big difference. We all gave up sweets too in solidarity and I for one am very pleased I did.

Bob

• Posted

Hi tom,

As a rule they say not to eat chocolate with soft fillings. Most can't eat chocolate, but you could try green and blacks chocolate as my professor told me some of her patients tolerate it, others dont (like me.). I've noticed when I have a flare up, foods that I can't eat will sting much more than those I can. Keeping a food diary will help eminimate what foods he can't eat.

As far as sweets go you could try haribos and jelly babies (I can eat them). I can't tolerate any of those sour type sweets. You can try fudge as well if he likes it. You can make homemade cakes / cookies, that way you know there's no colourings/preservatives in them too. Can he eat biscuits? Shortbread is a good option as they hardly have any ingredients in them.

Cinnamon and benzoates free diets really do help, after a while he will adapt to the new diet, but i should imagine it is hard at that age. I hope this helps you, but everyone is different and he may be able to tolerate some sweets that I can't eat, I'm going on advice and experience. Best of luck, I hope he feels better soon.

• Posted

Hi Everybody,

I am 28 and have recently been diagnosed with OFG with a negative result for Crohns. I think I must be pretty lucky as my symptoms aren't as severe as what I have read on previous posts. Just some ulcers and and a little bit of face swelling on my right side. I am interested in doing the C and B elimination diet but am finding it difficult to work out what foods have benzoates. I was wondering if anybody on this forum is from Australia like me??? I think most of you are from the UK. Our food labelling does not seem to be as detailed. I already know that chocolate is a trigger for me but I ignored it for ages as I did not realise the connection until I had the diagnosis of OFG. I just attributed all my mouth issues to wisdom tooth pain. Hehe! How wrong was I! Now I guess I have to live a chocolate free life. Yuck! Thanks everybody for your help.

• Posted

Do look at the Facebook group mentioned several times above. There is some really good advice, and excellent people who will help you all they can.
  • Posted

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with OFG in March 2014, diagnosis confirmed by biopsy of lower lip. This is a very frustrating illness. I live in the USA and there is limited info here. I tried the diet for a short while and it did nothing for me. My main symptoms are very swollen lips, lower worse than upper and my face and neck are also swollen. I've tried antibiotics and topical steroid treatment and neither helped. I have conflicting info on the intralesional steroid injections as one of my dr says "do not do it" and another says "try the intralesional steroid injections before we go any further with treatment". There are NO doctors around, including within a 8 hour round trip of driving - still no dr that will do the injections. I read a report from June 2014, in which a patient was given an immunosuppressant and it resolved all her symptoms. 

At this point I am very discouraged. I feel like crap all the time. I look like a freak and people of all ages stare at me everywhere I go. 

Has anyone on here taken immunosuppressants and did it help? 

I also suggest the Facebook group for orofacial granulomatosis, lots of good info on there.

Thank you for starting this group and I am sorry to everyone who has this dumb illness.  

• Posted

You say "a short while". How long exactly?
    • Posted

I had the steroid injections to my upper and bottom lip and cheek 6 years ago and it is still working now.  Last year however I started a medication called infliximab which is given through iv, it's a very very strong immune suppressant I had to use as i also have Crohn's disease and it was hard to Control. Now I have been symptom free of my crohns and ofg for 10 months however, they wouldn't have given this to me due to my ofg alone.  I should imagine immunosuppressants would help, as crohns and ofg are related.  I take oral immunosuppressants called azathioprine aswell, but my ofg was under control before I took this so i don't know how effective it is, as I took this 2 years after my ofg diagnosis as I was now diagnosed with crohns.

Before the infusions, though I was very ill crohns and ofg wise, but I never had swollen lips - only swollen gums and ulcers.  Obviously the I unjections worked well for me but the results would differ person to person, definetly keep looking around to find a doctor that can do it!!! You just need to persevere! Do find a doctor who knows that they're doing as my professor said if it's not done properly - it can lead to a bubble like appearance where the inejctions hasn't been spread easily.  

As for the immunosuppressants I would imagine they would help - from personal experience ofc - like I said keep persevering until you find a doctor that can help. 

In the meantime I would suggest an allergy/ patch test to see what you are sensitive too as this will help you stay clear of those things making your ofg worse.  Also make sure when you brush your teeth, to brush close to the gum line (try not to make it bleed) my professor also said that bacteria will grow under the Gum and damage your teeth in the long term.

Sorry this is happening to you, it took me almost 2 years to get my ofg under control, but now I've been pretty symptom free for so long - you will too but u fortunately it takes time. Hopefully my experience helps you a bit and it gets sorted soon!!! 

• Posted

I did the diet for about 2.5 weeks, I was told if the diet is going to work I should see improvement immediately. I didn't have any improvement at all. The diet is hard to stick to but if it worked I would stick to it. Very discouraging.  Also, one of my dr said he doesn't recommend the diet because once you eliminate all food triggers from system then you'll have a very exaggerated response. It's frustrating because I hear so many conflicting things. 
    • Posted

Hi Ellie, nice to hear from you. Thank you for all your helpful comments.  I have had allergy tests, multiple in fact. Apparently I am not allergic to any food items. 

I do agree with you, this illness seems to differ from one person to another. 

I will continue to search for a Dr that has treated OFG, I assure you that.  smile

• Posted

Hey Joanna,

What about non- food times? I'm also allergic to fragrances! I can't imagine how frustrating this is for you. I know you've tried steroids, have you tried the steroid gel that you wear in a gum shield overnight? 

• Posted

With due respect, I think that advice of 2.5 weeks is a load of *****.  It was seen as near miraculous that my daughter improved in just 2 weeks and I'm sure there is huge variability.

And it's certainly not our experience about exaggerated response if one strays from the diet by accident.

Have you joined the OFG Facebook group? If you haven't I would, as it's very very good and they are a great group of people.

• Posted

I tried steroid injections right at the beginning. They didn't work and made my face swell up. I've since learnt that is because they contained a sorbate based preservative...so make sure you check this before having them. 

I still recommend trying a short period of eating clean. Very restrictive but only eat plain chicken, fish, steamed/boiled green veg, brown rice, oatbran, proper Greek yoghurt. It really works for me. I also do fast days, when things are really bad, to just give my body a total break. Coffee and tea only! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.