Ortho-Wrist Questions

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my wrist New Year's Eve falling backwards roller skating . I was told it was barely broke , still broken but not displaced and not severe . I was given a splint and followed up with ortho. Ortho let me just keep the splint and I didn't have it casted. The pain is still very intense and the mobility is very restricted, especially range of motion up or down?. This morning my purse fell off my shoulder and I want to catch it with my thumb and it freaking hurt bad. Not that that I think reinjured it, that's not my question. I'm concerned about the range of motion restriction and the extreme pain that just hasn't left. Maybe ligament damage? The only imaging done were x-rays so... Any advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura,

You were given a splint to immobilize your wrist so your limited range of motion is exactly what your ortho wants. BUT, keep your fingers moving as much as you can to maintain a good circulation and to prevent stiffening. .

Look for signs like very pale fingers, blue-purple fingers that could indicate problems with the circulation. Also, numbness in your fingers could indicate neurological problems. In both cases see your doc as soon as possible.

When your splint is removed you might be referred to a physiotherapist for rehab. Remember this can take MONTHS to heel. You pain is not unusual and you should take some medication for that.

What really helps with your pain (and swelling) is to keep your wrist above heart level, you will feel relief if you hold your arm above your head. If you are a smoker, stop it, it affects the circulation and healing badly. I hope it helps! Good luck 😃

• Posted

hi laura...I broke my wrist several years ago (actually, hair line fracture). they did cast it for about 4-6 wks. no problems when the cast was on, but after, my thumb hurt like crazy! even with therapy I had to have 3 shots in it....that finally helped.

• Posted

Hi Laura, I think you need to get that checked out again, another xray or ultra sound. Sometimes a fracture can be missed or not set properly, not necessarily due to mistakes but no one is perfect. Get GP to refer you again as something is not right.

Hope it goes well for you.

Regards, Dave.

• Posted

I went back in to see my ortho doc. The bone is healing fine and I'm totally out of the splint/brace I had. The stiffness isn't normal so I have a referral to do phys therapy. I think I'll be able to get my mobility back in full. Glad I'm not some over-reactor. I'm always afraid I won't be believed LOL. I don't typically show pain, I spent years keeping a stoic face. Getting my nose fixed after a break I didn't move, make a sound or a face. The doc asked if it hurt because I did have tears streaming down my face (nose blows activate tear ducts). But yes it hurt! I am a Marine, I don't cry from physical pain and to be fair I was not crying, just to be clear 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.