Oseohpagul Cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have achalasia and was diagnosed last year with oesophagul cancer.

They think they caught it early so i was given 4 doses of chemotherapy and 25 doses of radiotherapy.

Following the 21st radiotherapy i suffered with a sore stomach and oesophagus which continued with each radiotherapy whilst i was in hospital.

The pain in the stomach went but has remained in the oesophagus ever since and it is over 2 months on.

During my stay, the pain clinic told me that the pain would be gone long by now but it hasn't even improved.

I have been to the hospital and seen a doctor since then and seen three different G.P's but none of them can give me any idea how long the pain will continue for or when it will improve.

I have been on all sorts of painkillers to alleviate the pain but only Oxycodone twice a day has helped in any way. I forgot to take them with me when i went out for the night recently and the pain spread all around the area.

The Oxycodone has had a terrible affect on my mental state too as it has caused severe depression so i am anxious to get off it asap.

Has anyone experienced the same symptoms and can they give me any idea as to how long the pain can go on for or how long it can go on for until it improves.

I know it is different for each person and depends on scar tissue following treatment but surely there is some average out there?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi k,

I just noticed that there have been no responses to this thread. I think probably because there is a lack of experience with cancer treatment in the group...I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but it appears very positive - I expect your care will be very focussed now - which is a positive also. Have you looked for an oesophageal cancer group here? Or tried talking to the OPA oesophageal patients association - just google. I know these guys are very supportive, and will try and answer your question.

Folk on this site may be interested in your story/history if you wish to share sometime. Plus please look out for an achalasia charity: achalasia-action that is launching very soon. I am involved with that, so can keep you informed.

Warmest, and brightest of karma,

N

• Posted

Hi Neil and thanks for reply.

No, i haven't thought to google your suggestions-my first thought was to try here as i am already registered on here.

I put my story/history about my achalasia before and had lots of responses.

Hopefully i will see your achalasia charity when it is on here.

Regards

K.

• Posted

It depends on where the pain is and the cause of it.

Sometimes taking deep breaths can be painful, but gradually taking progressive exercise can alleviate this. It is important to try and get your breathing right (ie stomach moves out when you breathe in, and vice versa) and to regain confidence in your chest movements.

It is the consultant responsible for your treatment who can give you the best information, and indeed the pain clinic. Some pain killers are more helpful for certain types of pain than others.

• Posted

I've been having balloon dalatations every six weeks for approximately the last six months to try and help my achalasia. Before the doctor began this treatment he offered me a Bougienage and also said that another treatment he can offer me is having stents put in. At a previous dalatation appointment, i turned down the bougienage as he told me the risks were greater and at this appointment he told me that the problem with having stents is that if they don't work, he has to go back in and remove them.

He also mentioned that a future option is to have a bag with a tube fitted to my stomach.

I go back to see him in March to discuss these options in clinic.

Has anyone had a bougienage, stents, or a bag fitted for achalasia and if so, can they please tell me how helpful they are, what the pain is like post procedure and how long it lasts for.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.