Osteitis pubis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I began tapering 2 weeks ago and I feel great at 19.5 mg. as far as the PMR symptoms are concerned. However, 3 and ago, I developed a pain in my groin which I initially thought was trocantheritis .I googled the it and my symptoms were different. I was that my son who is a chiropractor and my husband who is an MD both agree that it is Osteitis Pubis. I googled it and found some articles that associate it to PMR and GCA. One of the treatments for it is a course of 5 days of 40mg. of predisone.

I have an uncontrolled supply of predisone so I was thinking of taking the 40 mg. for 5 days but I'm not sure if that would affect the tapering and how I should taper from 40 to 19.5.

This thing is much more incapacitating than PMR.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi mimi is it PMR or GCA that you have?interesting about osteitis pubis,

I was diagnosed with PMR and then developed GCA but always had groin pain and thigh pain.

I don't know about jumping up to a high dose.

But I always have a good supply of preds in case symptoms of GCA ever returned.so I would certainly be jumping up to high dose.

Let us know the results

Take care

• Posted

I have PMR and started on 20mgs about 9 wks ago, I should have started tapering long ago but I developed a pain in my buttox which I was told was piriformis syndrone. That pain went away but immediately after, I started having pain in my groin. I was walking with two crutches for 3 weeks. Now I have to sleep flat on my back as lying on my side causes very acute pain. Getting out of bed or chair is excruciating.

I found a couple of papers that identify both PMR and GCA with Oseitis Pubis, stating the importance for GPs to know this for diagnosis purposes as OP is unusual in people the age when PMR/GCA srikes. I was told that having had children is also a risk factor (I have 5).

Thank you, Elizabeth.

• Posted

You can take 5 days of 40mg and go straight back to 19.5mg - just the same as taking 5 days of 40mg when you aren't taking pred chronically as we are. You have my sympathy - my older daughter developed it when she was having her son!  Then they refused her an epidural during labour despite it having been put in her notes...

• Posted

Thank you Eileen.. I was waiting for your OK. 😁

• Posted

I took the last dose of 40mg.prednisone that is the standard protocol for treating osteitis.

I feel better as far as the pain when moving. The pain is not acute anymore when I stand from sitting or walk. It's doable now and I know item go away on its own like PMR.

But discovered that public area, on the side of the sore groin and thigh, there is a very thick vain that is very tender to the touch. Could that be GCA?

• Posted

I'm sorry ...my device is acting up

• Posted

Honestly don't know mimi - but I doubt it. There is something at the back of my mind being a bit elusive...

Which side is the swollen blood vessel? It could be a varicose vein - something that is found along with osteitis pubis in pelvic congestion syndrome - although it is usually in slightly younger women.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen. I'm trying to figure out what to get.. I have a skeletal MRI scheduled by my husband but I think maybe a sonogram or angiography works be better indicated... I'm still improvising my health care.. at least the PMR- related part, as I don't see the new rheumatoligist till early February. I guess the good part is I can get the tests without delay for the time being. The symptoms I had prior to be the course of 40mg. have definitely improved but I've been left with a pain in the groin that raidates up my thigh and down my abdomen..

I also just got back the last inflammation markers and both CRP and ESR are raised as compared to last month's when CPR was within range.

• Posted

CRP was 2.1 (0.0 - 0.5)

ESR was 56 (2-20)

Ita a wonder I feel fine and far as the PMR is concerned.Maybe it's because I'm not very mobile.

• Posted

Or they could be due to something else. But there is definitely something not right. Were they done before or after the 40mg pred?
    • Posted

I suppose they should be done again soon and see what the 40mg pred did to them.
  • Posted

Mimi, with ladies and mysterious symptoms, I always like to rule out a gyn situation. There's the possibility of referred pain meaning it hurts one place but the source is somewhere else. 

An example would be leg pain from a back/spine issue.

• Posted

Thank you, Karen. I have made an appointment with the gyno and I'm also considering a hernia, apparently they are hard to diagnose in women. I keep thinking every symptom that crops up is PMR related and that Eileen will some the mystery😂😂.

• Posted

I think I have it figured out. Eileen had told me the most logical thing would be trochanteritis but I wasnt feeling any pain on the outside of my hip., only in the groin. I think I relate to the description of symptoms of illiopsoas brusitis. It isn't as common but it has been described as PMR related.

Tomorrow I go see my old rheumy that I'm trying to get rid of... see what he has to say.

I don't know if the 5 day course of 40mg of pred helped or whether the pain spontaneously improved but I figure if it wasn't osteitis pubis, trochanteritis is also treated with steroud I injections so it couldn't hurt.

Today, I'm back at 19mgs and feeling fine except for the groin pain.

• Posted

Well that's a start! But yes - bursitis can also produce pain in the groin. And the trochaneteric and iliopsoas bursae are quite close.

• Posted

Only thing that throws me off is that I have a sore, tender spot on my pubis, with something palpable like a large vein very close to the surfice . But, the elevated inflammation markers- those would be more likely due to brusitis, wouldn't they?

• Posted

They could be - but it all needs to be looked at by a doctor who has a vague idea what they are doing. I know - hope springs eternal...
    • Posted

Hopefully tomorrow, the rheumagologist will at least lead me in the right direction... As a going away gift😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.