Osteo arthritis help/advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I'm looking to find info/advice on how to deal with progressive osteo arthritis.  In 2008 I suffered a very bad accident which destroyed all the cartilege in one ankle.  This joint developed arthritis and is getting progressively worse due to wear and tear.  I have had a subsequent arthroscopy surgery which helped a little.  I also had tenosynivitis diagnosed in both thumb joints some 30 years ago but for many years this was self determining and only flared up occasionally.  Now both thumb joints are quite severely arthritic also.  My GP just advises to take over the counter anti inflammatories, eg voltarol or even ibuprofen but the discomfort is such that even taking the max recommended amount there are days when my hands are agony and I'm unable to do the most basic tasks (eg opening a bottle, holding a cup etc).  I experience quite nasty side effects too from anti inflamms, for example stomach upsets and headaches.  Does anyone have any suggestions for other ways I might help myself to cope with this condition.  Thank you

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The main treatments for osteoarthritis include lifestyle measures – such as maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly – medication to relieve your pain, and supportive therapies to help make everyday activities easier.
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments Jessica.  For info, I am height/weight appropriate, swim regularly but have been offered only otc NSAIDS such as ibuprofen as 'medication', the sole supportive therapy was three physiotherapy appointments where no actual physio took place, just discussions and the gift of three rubber bands to use at home to flex the foot/ankle.  I waited 18 months for an orthotics appointment to have orthotic inserts for my shoes measured and made.  They took six weeks to make and when I went to get them, they were so thick and clumsy they wouldnt fit in even the most sensible of shoes unless I went up at least four shoe sizes, which would be ridiculous and unsafe.  I and many like me feel pathetically let down by NHS treatments or support for this crippling disease, which I developed not as a result of abusing my body or my weight but because of an accident.
    • Posted

Hi Loxie

I have just come across this post again.

Are you using topical inflammatories or just oral ones??? Topical ones shouldnt upset your stomach

One other thing.......can you ask you GP about patches.....you can get anti inflammatory patches {via GP} I've never had them but have spoken to people that have.....that might not upset you so much...if they worked.

Do you ever try a TENS machine?

Love

Eileen   UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.