Osteo Arthritis in big toe joint

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone give me some advice please? I have been having steroid injections in my toe joint for the last 2 years (6 so far) and although I was told I could have up to 9, I was recently told that I should just go for surgery and have my toe joint fused - the podiatrist refused to inject anymore.

My toe aches constantly and is very painful if I catch it or accidently bend it and without the injection I am very aware that I am causing problems in my hip, knee & back because of my altered gait. I don't like the sound of fusion but the NHS podiatrists are very definitley pushing the fusion idea (they say I am too young - at 50!!- because the other options only last 5 - 10 years) but the only person I know who has had it done is so disappointed with it that she has refused to go in to have her other toe treated in the same way! 

I have read some posts on another thread which seem to be happy with joint replacements but am not sure if they are all based in the USA - I am in Nottingham in the UK. How do I access someone that could replace the joint rather than fuse it (I realise it may not be available on the NHS and I may have to go privately) Can anyone recommend any particular 'type' of joint replacement available here  and where to go to pursue it? - I don't know where to start!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria, my friend has had lots of foot ops in UK. She is under Guys Hospital. She reccomends Ali Abbisian and my other friend reccomends Sam Singh. I know Sam has a website. My GP reccomends him too. Its a way to travel but may be worth it if no one knows of one nearer home.
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

Please see the discussion that I started, there is a lot of info there on a newer solution that many of us are trying for OA of the MTP joint.

Look for "Cartiva - Has anyone had it?"

Krista

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.