Osteo. down right side

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello. I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my shoulder, hand, wrist and knee all down the right side. The pain started in the knee first then the hand then the shoulder and the elbow. Is it possible for it to then continue down the left side as I am now getting pain in the left knee and left shoulder. If so where does this stop as I am only 59 ( i feel young) and can someone give me advice on what painkillers to take please. I've been taking Ibuprofen but they only seem to last about half an hour and the pain is back. Thank you in advance.    Dian

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain problems.  I too have OA in various places - neck, thumb joints and ankle.  Unfortunately OA being an inflammatory condition does tend to spread around the body once you have it in one place, you then find it pops up in another joint sad  I stopped taking ibuprofen as my doctor told me it could increase my risk of heart problems, as I also have familial high cholesterol.  I sometimes take naproxen which takes a good few hours to work but really reduces the inflammation and thus the pain.  I find some natural remedies work really well - ginger, curcumin and foods with a high level of Omega 3.  All of these help me cut down the inflammation a lot.  I became vegetarian a few years ago and my pain levels dropped a lot when I stopped eating meat.  Red meat is known to increase inflammation.  I also now avoid any processed foods - again it helps, although it doesnt take the pain away completely, particularly when the weather is cold and damp which is the worst time. 
    • Posted

Thank you Loxie, I found that very interesting about ibuprofen, as I also suffer from hereditary high cholesterol, so I think its time to stop taking it. I'll  try naproxen. Thanks again

• Posted

Hi I have osteoarthritis & im 47 I take Naproxen 500mg twice a day 4 my oa they do work wonders 4 me best ive been on I take 2 omprezole to line my stomach before having them I think I might try that eating vegetarian I think thats a good idea

• Posted

hi dian. firstly i commiserate what you are going through. i am 60 and i also have oa in lower spine both knees and both shoulders for about 10 years. i have been prescibed and take zapain or cocodamol 500/30 and tramadol 50mg at night. it just relieves the pain somewhat but my doctor told me this is what would happen. i move about as much as possible but i find the more movement i do the more tired i become( one of the side effects of painkillers is fatigue/tiredness) so i sit down to rest and the pain becomes more intense i am in between a rock and a hard place, you will have to find a happy medium, your gp will advise you. good luck
    • Posted

Thank you Fred, Loxie has suggested Naproxen for the pain, I'll try that first then failing that I'll try one of your suggestions. Thanks again.

• Posted

my friend takes naproxen and swears by them and even gave me a sleeve to try. i googled them and thought there were to many side effects, so never tried them. my advice......... any thing you think of trying. google and do your homework on them. good luck
    • Posted

Unfortunately all anti inflammatories have side effects - I found ibuprofen were the worst and cant take them now.  Naproxen does cause stomach issues so if you decide to give them a try, make sure you take a stomach protector alongside (omeprazole, lansoprazole, etc), although even these have their own side effects sad vicious circle eh.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Loxie.
    • Posted

Fred have you ever been tested for Polymalaysia Rheumatica? Some of your symptoms are similar to PMR and it would be worth getting the blood test to see if you have the inflammation markers that are elevated when someone has PMR.
    • Posted

Forgot to add, if you take anti inflammatories (ibuprofen, naproxen, voltarol, etc) as opposed to pain meds (paracetamol etc), they have a longer 'lead in' time so dont leave it to the last minute when the pain has built up, try taking them as a preventative measure on a regular basis if you can.  If I take naproxen an hour or two before bedtime, I tend to have a less painful night.  If I leave it until the pain is really uncomfortable before taking anything, it can take a couple of hours for it to calm down.

• Posted

Hi Dian!

Yes, osteoarthritis surely is a PAIN -- literally!😬 I first noticed mine in the 80s after my two sons were born. It started as some stiffness that would lessen as I moved around. I began taking over-the-counter joint medications. I didn't visit a doctor because I recognised the symptoms. My family on both sides have osteoarthritis.

Over the next ten years things were about the same. More stiffness, more pain but nothing too awful. My husband and I took care of my mother in our home for two years in 2011 and 2012. She was 99 and then 100. Caring for her was stressful in many ways. Both my husband and I experienced health issues. I believe the stress, lack of sleep and the emotional toll her Dementia took on us really set my husband's health and my health into a downward spiral.

Age (we are 65) certainly played a part as well. I was in increasing pain particularly in my knees. I had both knees replaced in 2015.

Osteoarthritis continues on, however. Especially when it rains snows or there is a weather change I know pain is on the way.

I try to keep positive, think of how much worse things COULD be but aren't. I pray a lot, take my Ibuprofen morning and night, KEEP MOVING, use IcyHot roll-on on my arthritic back, warm my fingers with warm water which helps, use a heating pad on my lower back and right shoulder and TRY to keep myself distracted with interesting things like my garden, reading, playing with our granddaughter, and being thankful that AT LEAST my KNEES don't pain me as they did for five long years prior to surgery;

Take care!

Be strong.

Sending prayers of strength to you today!??

• Posted

Oh, and I also wanted to mention FISH OIL capsules! I began taking these (2 capsules 1000mg each ) about two years ago following my knee replacements. My doctor suggested this.They provide Omega 3 and have also made a difference in my joints.

My husband says "OIl Can" (Wizard of Oz!) when I'm taking them!! Also the fish oil helps with heart health.

If you get the Half Size liquigels they are smaller and easier to swallow. Don't worry about any smell of fish. They DO NOT smell!

Recently I added two more which I take at night as ordered by my doctor. I figure it can't hurt and will also help provide heart health.

• Posted

I agree about the fish oil capsules - Omega 3 rich foods are very very good for keeping inflammation at bay.  Try to avoid anything high in omega 6 - as this can compete with omega 3 for metabolisation in the body.  Examples of things containing omega 6 include refined vegetable oils.  Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you very much Cheryl, gardening is one of my main hobbies. I'll bear what you said in mind.

• Posted

You are very welcome! I distract myself all the time when I am outside! I LOVE digging in the dirt, getting the soil ready to plant, watching our daffodils poke through the mulch! I weeded flowerbeds for two days this week. My IcyHot really helps with my lower back! I'm learning to take breaks, check out my walnut tree to see if the bees are moving around yet, watch the birds at the feeders and play with our neighbour's sweet Pit bull, Lola! Then, back to the WEEDS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.