Osteo in both knees.

Posted , 4 users are following.

For some time now I have been suffering with this problem and it now is getting worse.

​My wife is 60 and I'm 60 in December but my wife has no problems walking. She loves the outdoors and enjoys walking especially with me. We also enjoy City breaks and have visited some great European cities. I have experienced difficulty getting about these places but I have managed.

​We recently returned from Bratislava where I could not walk around much. The pain was unbareable and my left knee gave way a few times. At night my knees feel as if they are burning and I struggle to sleep.  I take tablets but they are not much good.

​Until recently my GP has been putting me off from having new knee replacements because he tells me I'm too young? When I had X Rays the surgeon who performed what was a cartillage op told me I had grade four osteo and it was as bad as it got. That was 5 years ago and it happened to have got worse.

​My wife has had to tell me about the surprise she has booked for my 60th and she feels terrible that she will be putting me through pain again.

I know many on here will have endured the operation and I would like to know if anyone has any pain afterwards. I'm sure it cannot be this bad.

Your thoughts please.

Kind regards Dennis

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dennis!

I am waiting to be discharged from the hospital following my second TKR. My left leg was June.

I had terrible pain before my surgeries. I have MUCH LESS pain now, and my surgery was just two days ago!

Get another doctor ,and get the surgery.

You will NOT regret it!!!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind reply.

The problem we have is the Surgery is a group practice and we can see anyone of four GPs. Everything goes through the main doctor and it is he that is my stumbling block. My grown up kids are screaming at me to get something done, before now I have presevered and a little scared of the op.

​Kind regards Dennis.

• Posted

Put your foot down and - if necessary - get a private opinion.

This isn't my "usual" forum but one of "our" ladies got the same drivel from her GP that she was "too young" for a hip op. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done, same applies for knees. In fact it is better to do it in relatively young patients who are still reasonably fit as their recovery is good,

There will be things you won't be able to do (like kneel) but the pain is far less providing you do your physio conscientiously and tell them when things don't seem right.

Frankly - take your offspring with you! It often concentrates a GP's mind when faced with younger and confident family members. Or, if it is a patient of the female variety, their male partner. It's wrong but when faced with intransigence there is sometimes no option.

• Posted

Hello Dennis,  I have had my left knee replaced twice now and I am 59. Thou mine was due to septic arthritis In childhood. I can tell you that I had no pain after the first one and mobility was improved. You will need about 3 months to fully recover. My second one was more difficult due to breaking my leg and now have stents inside to stabilise the leg and I  walk with a stick. You should have no pain or very little pain after your op. I do believe that the NHS are trying to limit how many ops they do now so you need to emphasise how much pain your In. See your GP asap to set the ball rolling.

Elizabeth. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.