osteoarthritis .

Posted , 6 users are following.

i used to have stiff legs and hips after driving for approx 90 - 120 minutes around 12-18 months ago. This gradually changed to getting pains in legs and hips over a drive of that length. Now i get pains and stiffness after 15 minutes sitting in my van.

Ive just been diagnosed as having osteoarthritis this week. The doctor says they dont know too much about this arthritis. What i was told is that i am too young to be considered for a hip replacement ( I am 43 ), so i just have to work my way up through the different strengths of painkillers and they recommended i take Glucosamine sulphate.

Can anyone else on this forum give me any more advise or tips please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do know there are two different types and a variety of other thigs you can take too but think you can get this from your doctor for free maybe. Tumeric and rosehip is two of the alternatives but there are loads, some people take two or three things together.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel,

There are loads of things like you say.....the only thinbg I would say is check withthe pharmicist before taking them.....just because they are "natural or Healthy" doesnt mean they wont clash with some other meds you take.

I've tried various things........I dont think I had the patience to take them long enoughwink

Love

Eileen

• Posted

To be honest a l ot of these natural things can have side effects but I doubt the pharmacist would know about them. He is qualified to kinow about medication notnatural thnings. Better to check online or ask a naturopath about the natural things. I dont have these problems and dont need to take such medication, just teling you what I have read.  It must be hard if you are unsure if you shold continue to take something or not and you want to switch to something else rather than continue with something that is not working. Bromelian is another choice.
    • Posted

Morning Carmel

We are in opposite ends of the world I take it  LOL I've only got your message now.....its 7.20am in the UKbiggrin

Our pharmicist is pretty good at deciding what clashes with other meds and what doesnt.....even if its only looking at the ingredients in them...not the whole tablet itself.  It depends where the person is really.l would then go to the GP and check with her/him if the pharmicist couldnt help. Both are free at the point of contact.....Go to a naturapath over here and it cost an absolute fortuneeek in my opionion its not worth it to ask one question

You are lucky if you dont have to take any other meds....go for it but the title of the thread is OA so most of us will take meds

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I am in the UK.  Am going through a long term problem that is different to yours but replied to your post because I knew a little about it and hoped it would help. Totally agree it is not worth paying a naturopath to answr one question.
  • Posted

I am astounded and really grateful for the feedback/replies. I am going to have to make an evening free to go through them and write down tips/advice and discuss with GP or hopefully someone else like a consultant or similar (i know this may take a while to get an apppointment).

Sorry i am unable to give any feedback yet as i am a novice to OA wink 

It is good to have found this forum where you can chat to others in a similar position

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.