Osteoarthritis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have Osteoarthritis I think, although the doctor didnt really do any tests to confirm it.  Perhaps there's nothing they can do, I don't know.  Anyway, it started out when I had a frozen shoulder when I was sixty from fracturing a small bone without realizing it.  Because of the strain on the other shoulder that subsequently froze up as well.  I had to sleep on my back for nearly a year, but after two lots of cortisone injections into the joints and lots of active dancing in my bedroom whilst in agony, they finally freed themselves and got back to normal.  After that episode I found that my lower back was painful when I got out of bed in the mornings, and my right knee would collapse with pain up and down the stairs. My right hip now gives me a lot of pain too, and sometimes all of these joints play up together, leaving me in lots of pain. I do find that paracetamol helps, and I do use voltarol etc. I have tried using flexisque also, which is a topical treatment that is supposed to lubricate the joint, but it is very expensive at £18 a tube and I'm not really sure whether it works or not. It seems to work sometimes, but not others.

Also, I find that I can wake up occasionally with more or less no pain at all for no reason that I can make out.  I wish I knew what it was! Perhaps something I ate, or just didn't do the previous day??  who knows?? anyway, It's nice to know that there are others that I can talk to about this and listen to any tips and advice.  Good luck everyone.  Perhaps someday they'll put some money into it and find a cure!  I doubt it though!!  

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Sorry to hear you are suffering.  Did your gp suggest xrays for the back and knee that would show up any osteoarthritis, although what they see on xray does not always correspond with the pain you suffer.  I too have arthritis in spine neck and both knees.  If it is bad you can be referred to an orthopaedic consultant, for

assessment, they might offer you physio, washout or knee replacement depending on how bad it is.  For the moment make sure you get plenty of rest and exercise as well.  Lose weight if that is applicable (it is to me).  Using a stick

can help with walking. Some people find glucosamine with or without chondroitin

help.  It is a supplement.  Look it up. Healthspan is a good site for buying supplements vitamins etc.  Also have you had your vitamin D checked.  AS for finding a cure, don't get old.  The advice I give to my children keep slim and keep active.  Hope this might help do keep in touch.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi Christine.  It took a while for me to get a diagnosis but my GP finally sent to for an xray earlier this year and confirmed right hip and spine wear and tear.  I suppose that's pretty normal at 66.  Sometimes it is terribly painful and then some days it is much easier.  Someone on here recommended Pernaton Gel and I have found this helps, it is not as expensive as flexisque either, try Amazon or Holland and Barrett when they do a special offer.  I sleep with a pillow between my knees and find using a stick also helps when the pain is bad.  Keep going to your GP.  If you don't they'll assume it's better.  I'm hoping for a referral to the hospital but my GP keeps offering me stronger painkillers.

As Libralady says, the only cure is not getting old :D

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi, Like you I am 66.  Can you tell what Pernaton Gel and Flexique 

are.  I have gone back on glucosamine and chondroitin, early days yet.  Took it a few years back and thought it helped but O A for not as bad then.  I can only really take paracetamol as other pain relievers seem to upset my IBS.  My gp has just given me some ibuprofen gel to see if that will help together with the paracetamol.  I had excruciating pain in my right leg for a few months last year which left me housebound.  I was due to have arthrocopy in Oct but then the pain suddenly improved a lot so it was cancelled as surgeon thought it might start it up again.  Hoping my left leg does not go down same path as it is the left one playing up now.

• Posted

Hi smile

Pernaton gel is made from green lipped mussel extract.  It's pleasant to use and seems to give me relief.  I bought mine from Holland and Barrett, buy one get one half price.  You can use it as often you like and although it has a slightly warming effect it's not like a heat rub.  I recommend it.  

Funnily, I only read about the Flexique earlier today.  I kniw very little about it except that it's an over the counter product from pharmacies.  I think I'm a little like you.    I can't  take any anti inflammatories as I have kidney disease so my GP gives me cocodamol  which make me feel quite sick.  My OA has eased up loads just in the last couple of days but it still feels quite

fragile and my movement is restricted.  Playing Bowls is my hobby and I am unable to do this at present which really upsets me.  I just want to get a referral and hopefully in time a new hip smile

• Posted

Hi CelsB

It must be hard not being able to take anti inflammatories.....Like you I use pernaton....but buy it online although if H and B have a sale on at least you get some points on your cardwink  It doesnt take the pain away {dont think anything does} but it eases it a lot and deoesnt smell like deep heat eek

I heard about flexique quite a while ago when it was only on sale in Southern Ireland. Another forum I was on......her son was going over and she got him to get her some.....Cant remember the price but it was very expensive and she is back to using pernatonbiggrin

If you cant take anti inflammatories can you take a topical cream with anti inflammatory in it? Check with the GP......that would be more help than pernaton.....eg Voltoral......I cant take that because I already take anti inflammatories orally and would be over dosing apparently.

I've often thought about bowls but no way could I play that at the minute.

Hope you find some relief with something.....we are all looking for that magic potent  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen,  I can't use anti-inflammatories in any form according to my GP, because of my Kidney DIsease which is stage 3 (stage 4 is dialysis level and I don't want to go there!)  She did prescribe me something called Piroxicam gel, which she says reduces inflammation but is safe for me to use.  To be honest I find the Pernaton better inasmuch as I can use it as often as I like.  Yes, it was you who recommended it to me and I couldn't wait for delivery , I wanted to get it that very day - you know what it's like when the pain really bites - hence H + B.

I do love my bowls Eileen, my whole life seems to revolve around it so not being able to do it changes my whole lifestyle.  I can bowl, just about, it's the walking up and down the green that I can't do.  Something for you to think about maybe when you're feeling better.  Bowls people seem to be mostly nice people.

Have a good day Eileen x

• Posted

Thanks for that information on Pernaton will certainly think about if the ibuprofen gel does not work or causes any problems.
    • Posted

Hi CelsB

I'm sorry that you are so close to dialysis and no you dont want to go there.

A bit like me with epilepsy meds {although have had nop seizures for 33 yrs} There are meds I cant take so no way will I try them incase they do start anything again.

Thats what I like about pernaton......any time you like.....We are going away in a couple of weeks and that is def. coming with me.  I can understand about theH & B I would be like that LOL

As for bowls....dont know how long it will be before I can even think about it.....apart from the THR at the end of Jan, a fractured hip 4 weeks later.....so still on crutcheseek  5 months now I know the hospital said it would take a long time to heal but thats all they said..........what do they think is long LOL

I will keep it in mind

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Libralady

The pernaton def does work......doesnt take the pain away completely....what does LOL and you can use it as much as you want to.....if you want another anti inflammatory if ibruprofen doesnt work try volterol.......I found that good until they put me on anti inflammatory orally. So cant use the gel or it will be an overdose.

Dont forget if you have time...order the pernaton on line.....its usually much cheaper.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello, yes I will try Pernaton. I think it is also called Voltarol but will check it out.  I have been to the doctors two or three times and did get referred for physio, but didn't really find it much use to be honest. I prefer to get walking every day when I can and enjoy that much better to be out in the open. It takes two weeks to get an appointment with my doctor so prefer to treat myself whilst I can.  I do sleep with a small pillow between my knees although this sometimes makes my hip ache even more.  It's very sporadic and I can never tell from one day to the next what I'll be like the next day.  Take care and keep up the fight.  Yes I think the only real cure is to grow young again.  Lol. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Christine

Do check them out.......Pernaton has no anti inflammatory in it which is why I take it.  As far as I know volterol is an anti inflammatory cream.....excellent if you can take it.

What a good idea....grow younger  LOL  I know you are over 60 judging by your first post....not sure exactly what age...I'm 68 now.eek

I dont feel it except when my body reminds me  LOL

If you can get out walkinbg you do it.....better than physio exercises indoors I think....I cant go far although I do go on the flat on my crutches to see each time if I can make it any further

I agree with you about treating yourself.....if possible....not saying no to tablets but extras where you can manage your pain yourself.  Heat helps me {some its cold but not me LOL}

The gels have nothing to do with the doc.  I just make sure that anything I but doesnt clash with any other meds I'm on......pharmacist is usually very helpful.  My TENS machine sometimes helps more than others...so every now and then it comes out and I try it again.  Have you ever tried relaxation tapes? I find they are good.....you have to practice and do one or two bits of it every day otherwise you think nothing is happening.

Good luck with self management and we'll grow younger together  LOL

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen, I am 66 so can't really complain too much I guess.  Yes, let's grow young together lol!  Hope you sleep well and I love relaxation tapes used to use them when I was working.  Will dust them off again to try.
    • Posted

Hi Christine

I didnt sleep very weel but thats because I had a drink at about 11.30pm not a sip....a cup of teasad So been up and down a few times LOL

I keep forgetting about my relaxation tapes as well and have to get them out....then I think why dont I use these as regularly as I used to??

Eileen

• Posted

Oh dear sorry to hear that Eileen. Perhaps you better try a smaller drink of something a bit stronger lol.  I had my tea and paracetamol, rubbed in the volterol and now I'm ready to get Aliistair (my grandson) up for his breakfast. I can hear him singing in the other room!    I bet you're looking forward to your holiday soon.  I was in Dorset last week in a static van.  Lovely!  Hope the weather picks up again by the time you go.  Have a lovely day if you can. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Christine

I wish I could take volterol  but never mind....pernaton isnt  bad

I've been to the metro centre this morning {Shopping Centre}I hired a scooter because its a long way .....

I'm apprehensive  about this hol......being a tourer  its very basic.....Its bed at night that  I'm dreading

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, yes I know what you mean. Beds seem to be notoriously hard these days even in the best hotels!!   I used to travel a lot in my job, and so learned a few tricks.  Take with you an old duvet thast you can fold up and put it underneath the sheet on your side of the bed, or right across the bed. Up to you.  This usually helps me to cope with a hard bed.  If you can't take one with you, ask the hotel for an extra duvet and just tell them you're cold lol! they most always oblige.  Good luck!!

xx

• Posted

Thanks Christine.....Because its our caravan I dont have to ask anyone LOL  I'll remember that and also remember it for hotels as well.Thanks

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.