Osteoarthritis

Posted , 8 users are following.

can anyone help, I'm male 43 years old and have suffered with gout for 20 years on and off, this takes me off my feet and effects the big toe normally, I've always had pain in my feet ever since breaking my ankle when I was a postman, I was medically retired. Now a few weeks back I was out in the snow when I started getting severe pain in my foot, I thought it was an attack of gout, but felt different and was mainly in my ankle, I've not been able to walk since foot feels loose and locked. I have not been out the house in 3 weeks I'm taking ibrufen 3x aday plus cocodomol. I wake about 4am in agony shivering and my foot can be like a red hot patato all around the ankle and feels detached dislocated almost. I can't put my foot to the floor pain does subside if I've taken ibrufen but if I'm moving around I lift it off the floor and hop on crutches. Luckily my dad lives with me and he has a stair lift as I'm unable to walk upstairs at all. It's getting me down now not been out the house wake up take tablets wait about 1 hour for them to kick in just so I can get up. I'm having to sit on the toilet with a sponge as I can't get in the bath or shower. The pain travels around the ankle too and it's hot to the touch. Any advice would be appreciated 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark

So sorry that you're in such pain. It seems to me that you should see a doctor asap if you haven't already done so.

• Posted

Thank you, can't get in to see my doctor until 8th January. When I phone they say it's medical emergencys only.

Thanks Mark

• Posted

Hallo Mark.  I have gout too, but after the first couple of years it “settled down”  (until the next time)!!  The only time I have problems with it now is when crystals attack (feet & knees),  the agony then is unbelievable so I know what you are going through.

Your pain doesn’t really fit my experience, so I am afraid I can’t help.  Haven’t you seen a doctor?  You could have RA.

Hope you find some relief soon.

Constance

• Posted

Hello Constance

RA usually effects mirroring joints at the same time, so if you have it in the right you will also get it in the left. The reason we think it's osteoarthritis is because of he broken joint and with having gout that also erodes joints. I had physio therapy on my foot after the break in 1995, but the weather also causes me pain.

thanks Mark

• Posted

Plz  Go to ER. it could be infection especially with the symptoms you describe

plz Pm

also if you think of it Plz PM me and let me know how your doing. click on the envelope next to my name for PM. 

Take it it easy and ice that foot. You will probably need antibiotics and in a fat you will feel much better. 

😊

• Posted

No temperature had to see nurse last week. Also swelling will subside still can’t put it to the floor but if I do it flares up again. Joint has no movement 

Thanks Mark

• Posted

Hello Mark,

Sorry your in so much pain. Don't know where your from but from what i am reading you would be best to go to the A & E dept as you may need an Xray.  Until you have a diagnoses it's difficult to know how to treat . Get someone to take you or get a taxi. You don't want to make things worse. You may just have a bad sprain or twisted your ankle, it's best to get the right help. Good luck.

Elizabeth 

• Posted

It’s more of an aching today but still little movement in the ankle. Was told I would be prone to arthritis in that joint when I broke it in 1995, I was medically retired from Royal Mail. Nurse did not seem to concerned last week. Weather can make my joint worse too

Thanks Mark

• Posted

I see. Thanks for letting me know. Did the nurse offer any treatment until your appt. 

Jan 8 is a long time until ur appt. can you take  Anti inflammatory meds like Advil and ice it until treatment. Sounds miserable. So sorry. Is there any other option available to receive treatment?

• Posted

Have you seen a doctor for this? If not you need to go to one ASAP. I think it sounds like you broke your ankle or foot. You need to get an x-ray of that foot and ankle and see what's going on. There's another thing that it could be, it could be that you have a bone spur in your ankle or foot and that it is in the location that is irritating that area. Or a bone could have broken loose when you broke your ankle and it is now in a place where it is irritating that area. This happened to my mom maybe 40 years after she broke her foot.

• Posted

Thank you

It’s not broke I have seen a nurse and I told her my symptoms, I’ve looked on like at osteoarthritis of the ankle and it seems to be the same symptoms. So alongside my gout I’m guessing I have osteoarthritis too. When the cartilage where’s away it can become bone rubbing against bone causing the pain. And I have not hurt myself it just came on all of a sudden in the cold weather “snow”. At the moment it’s ok just slight pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.