Osteoarthritis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed as having osteoarthritis in my hands I type everyday will I need to give up work soon.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was having pain in wrist 3 months ago and ortho diagnosis for tendon debridement and left thumb trapeziectomy with weilby suspensionplasty and STT interposition with carpal tunnel. Had surgery Jan 19th. Ortho said my arth was severe. I didn't know I had arthritis in my wrist. My job involves keyboarding and I return to work Monday. Honestly, I dread my future. Plan now for a simpler life IMO.

• Posted

Absolutely not!! 

I have just just had my 3rd finger joint replacement so I can still type. There is lots they can do before surgery is required such as pain medication, steroid injection and I had a debridement done, that’s a filing down of a bone spur, to give me pain relief before we needed to do a joint replacement 

• Posted

Probably not.  But you should learn some good exercises to maintain mobility of the joints (see a physiotherapist) and maybe consider taking glucosamine.  Capsules, not the hard, indigestible tablets.  I take 100 mg morning and evening.  Avoid NSAIDS tempting though they may be, except when you need them for something like a headache.  They interfere with cartilage regeneration.  Try to keep your hands warm, and take breaks when you can to avoid repetitive stress.  Good Luck!
    • Posted

Sorry, typo.  I take 1000 mg morning and evening.
  • Posted

The good news is that hand OA often runs it's course and gets better on it's own. This is lifted directly from the NICE guidelines on OA:

"Hand OA has a particularly good prognosis. Most cases of interphalangeal joint OA becomes asymptomatic after a few years, although patients are left with permanent swellings of the distial or proximal interphalangeal joints. Involvement of the thumb base may have a wore prognosis, and in some cases this causes continuing pain on certain activities"

Have you tried massaging around the muscles in the hands and forearms? This *may* give some relief and certainly it won't do any harm to try. Just dig around all the muscles and tendons in forearms and hands and see if you find any tender spots - if you do, apply massage or gentle pressure and you may well find that this gives you a lot of relief. If you're typing all day then you'll have muscle imbalances - the muscles that pull back your hands and lift your fingers get over-active, and this COULD be what's behind your finger OA. Certainly it could give you some relief and keep you working. 

• Posted

Good morning, I have osteoarthritis in my hands as well and am on a computer 24/7. I  had basal thumb arthoplasty 3 months ago and continued to work. I only missed two days of work. With that said I should have probably given myself a little more time to rest. I am now post op three months and just beginning to get some relief. I did not realize that surgery has a recovery time of approximately six months. It has been a realitivy painful process but I am improving. I believe you will as well. Many people have osteoarthritis and continue to work.  Occupational therapy has helped me a great deal. Once you know the exercises and can even purchase some of the things that they use to help you, they are  relatively inexpensive (ie squeeze balls, massage, heat/ice etc), you can do these things at home on your own . Hope this info helped
  • Posted

Hi, I have it from years of typing, in my shoulders and neck as well as hands, for me personally typing, which I still do daily actually helps, my hands become really stiff and my fingers feel like fat sausages if I don't do anything, it may be different for you but just see how it goes.  You can get various types of supports that you rest your hands on that help, your work should provide these.  

• Posted

Dear Brenda,

I pray that your OA does not progress as quickly as it can......  do you know how to do "piano finger exercises"??????  I believe they have videos on U tube on finger and hand stretching...... also 2 buckets one with hot water, and one with cold..... a sponge in both....... gently squeezing the sponges alternating hot and cold can help.... I use to play the piano which is why I know these exercises and that they help..... I will pray that OA does not take away your ability to type but typing is a repiticous motion.... not good for your hands........ is there any other type of work you would enjoy??  a job where your hands are not doing all the work??? you should think about it as typing will make your hands get worse for sure......... hate to say it and wish I could hug you as you read this........... anyway....take care.....if you want to vent..... I am here...... I have a discussion too!

Hugs.......prayers......Erela

• Posted

Susan's post reminded me of something I do.  I give the joints in my fingers a little massage.  The pressure on the little joints must help get the synovial fluid moving and helps lubricate the joint.  Hard to describe how to do it.  Hold one hand palm up towards you.  Take the other hand, and holding each of your finger joints between thumb and forefinger, in turn apply pressure with a circular motion first in one direction three times, then three times in the other.  When you've done all eight finger joints do the other hand.  If your thumbs bother you, give them a little massage too.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.