Osteoarthritis affecting eyes

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an eye test and was informed that my OA was affecting my eyes by drying up the lubricating oils in my tears.  As a result, my eyes are watering constantly - but it is only water and isn't lubricating - and my eyes feel like they have grit in them.   Has anybody out there also experienced this please?    I am undecided if I should see an Opthalmologist.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes Madeleine, I have had the same problem for a few years. My GP gives me ISOPTO PLAIN 0.5% EYE DROPS which you can buy over the counter at the Chemists for less than £3 to get you started.  The tiny plastic bottle holds 10 ml. (about 2 teaspoons) and they are very easy to apply yourself. They are artificial tears and don't cure the problem but do alleviate the soreness I experience.  You can use them several times a day. It might be wise to explain your problem to the Pharmacist before you buy though, especially if you wear contact lenses.

There are occasions when, on waking during the night, I have terrible difficulty in actually opening my eyes and I suspect this is when I haven't had enough liquid to drink during the day (I'm a poor drinker!!). It might not be that but it's a possibility so I try to drink a little more when I remember! The drops are the first thing I do when I wake and the last thing before I go to sleep.

Next time you visit your GP, you can ask about it.

Good luck Madeleine.

• Posted

Hallo Madeleine!  Yes,  DO see an Opthalmologist.  I have had this trouble for several months and suffer as Sylvia does (as mentioned in her second paragraph!).  You really need a stronger eye gel for the night, but the drops are fine for the day.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hello Madeleine,

I have something called Blepharitis....it sounds very similar to what you have, I have drops, actually, I've run out, the Optician discovered it on my last eye test ealier this year, she didn't say it was connected to OA, but, it may be, I will ask the next time I go....I can't remember the name of the eye drops, I'm sorry, but, they are very good, they are INSTANT!  stops the dryness and the soreness, I use them as I need them, I also have an eye mask, and have to warm my eyes with a cream, and once again I have run out and can't remember the name of it!! Sorry!

If ever I get around the getting some more cream and drops, I will try to remember to let you know...

I hope you get the help anyway.

Take care,

Chrissie.

• Posted

Hi Madeline

Eye problems can be  because of arthritis.....not usually osteo as far as I know but there is one type.....sjornatic {pronounced sorryatic} sorry cant remember how to spell it. That is associated with eye problems.

Then of course there is blepharatis which doesnt have anything to do with arthritis as far as I know....I had bleph. for 3 years constantly.....people even stopped me in a shopping centre to ask if I was OK {they thought I was crying} it was tears/water and even if I tried to disguise it with glasses people still noticed.

Its not the sort of thing that you can cure ...any more than you can cure arthritis but you can keep it at bay.,

See an optomorist.......you need eyedrops during the day and a gel {thats what I had anyway} at night.  Bathe your eyes with a hot flannel first thing if they are crutsty or you find it hard to open them.

He told me to use a hot flannel, {about 10 mins} then clean them then put drops in.

I found a bag on line.....wheat bag....you put it in the microwave for a few seconds and instead of all the fuss of hot facecloths etc etc you just get it out of the microwave and lie down with it one for 10 mins {I think} I havent used it for a while. Much easierwink but still use drops etc

Love

Eileen

UK

• Posted

CORRECTION

Sorry Madeline...thats not the kind of arthritis.....that has other symptons.

The one that affects the eyes is syjourns or something similar....cant spell that one either....there are over 200 types of arthritiseek

Possibly someone will come on and tell us which one it is LOL

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Psoriatic arthritis I think you mean, I have a friend with that.  They've had psoriasis for years and were recently diagnosed with this type of arthritis and they get iritis which is an inflammation around the iris of the eye.  They don't exactly have the watery eye symptoms mentioned above though. They take NSAIDs and disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs (DMARDs).

I have OA and in recent years have terrible issues with watering eyes, mostly just the right one. I changed eye make up, skin care, etc., thinking that might be the cause.  Sometimes I thought it was my sinuses giving me the problem as when my eye waters a lot I occasionally get a runny nose too but no other cold or flu symptoms.  I didnt connect it with the arthritis but maybe I should look into that.  I'm unfortunately similar to sylvia, I know I don't drink as much water as I should do and I drink a lot of coffee, so probably get dehydrated.

• Posted

Hi Loxie

I'm not sure that it is psoriatic arthritis.....Yes thats what I first thought but thinking about it again....there is an arthritis called

Sjogrens syndrome......look it up {google or in arthritis research} That has a lot to do with eyes......more than joint pain I think.

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies.   I have asked my GP to refer me to an opthalmologist in the new year.

Madeleine.

• Posted

Hello again Madeleine,

Good to know your GP is sorting things out for you, I do hope you will get the answer to your problems...

Those eye drops I couldn't remember the name of are: Systane Ultra UD, they come in individual viles,   you break one off as you need it, there are a lot of 'drops' in one file, and so easy to use.  You can buy them 'over the counter',  there are 30 viles in each packet, they cost around £10, quite expensive, but, very good!   Next time I go to see the GP, I am going to ask if I can have them on prescription!

So, I wish you a good Christmas and a Happy New Year, and better health all round...that goes for us all....

Take care of yourself and yours.

Chrissie...XX

• Posted

Hi Madeleine, I'm glad you have a referral and will be very interested to hear what he/she says.  

In the meantime, I wish you - and everyone on here - a happy Christmas and a healthy and peaceful 2015.  

• Posted

Did you see an opthalmologist?  I think I have OA in my eye but my eyes hurt with the OA pain and they don't feel dry or water?  Going to contact my opthalmologist soon.

• Posted

Whilst some forms of arthritis can cause eye problems, you cant actually have OA (osteo arthritis) in the eyes as this type of arthritis specifically only affects the joints.  Inflammatory arthritis and Sjogrens syndrome are well known to affect vision.  Whatever is wrong with the eyes, whether or not it is connected to one of the inflammatory forms of arthritis, you don't get OA actually 'in' the eyes.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Can't figure out why I have eye pain only with I move my eye to the far right, far left, up and down.  It goes away when I look straight ahead.  Your comment at least ruled out one thing it could be.

• Posted

Hi Martha.  If you have any of the other forms of arthritis (eg rheumatoid, inflammatory, sjogrens, etc., ) it could be affecting your eyes and causing pain.  Or it could be some form of inflammation to the eye muscles totally unrelated to arthritis.  Definitely get the doctor to check it out, vision is such a precious gift.
    • Posted

Have been to two different 0phthalmologist nothing shows up.  Had CT scan nothing showed up.

Going for another CT. Can't do MRI because of pacemaker. I'll let everyone know if I ever get to the bottom of this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.