Osteoarthritis and bone spurs in lower back.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I had a knee replacement in January. The last 6 weeks I've had dreadful groin hip and back pain. In thought it was due to the hip OA I have and the knee. I saw consultant yesterday who did an x-ray. Hip OA not to bad, but said I have bad degeneration in lower spine and developed bone spurs. I had an MRI today and seeing a spinal surgeon next week. I'm really shocked and concerned about this. I'm only 46. Do you know what treatment can be given for this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Don't get in a hurry about anything yet! I had bilteral TKR 2 yrs ago. I had awful pain for weeks & months afterward. TKR is pretty brutal surgery, they do use hammers on you & it takes time to heal. I had alot of muscle pains after. The bad knees had messed up my gait, shortened & weakened muscles & that took time to correct. Keep doing your exercises & building strength. I have lower lumbar OA w/bone spurs too. My hips & SI joints were very painful for awhile. It took awhile but things got better. See the surgeon but be sure you are healed b4 you consider more surgery. These ortho surgeons are pretty quick to recommend surgical intervention. It certainly has its place but don't rush.

• Posted

I had both knees replaced, a shoulder replace along with a shoulder readjustment 6 weeks later. 2 years ago a triple fusion in the neck. I also have bone spurs and spinal stenosis in the lumbar. I had a rizotomy in the left side of my lumbar and now am scheduled for one on the right. It does help with the pain for a good while. I like you need surgery but with all that I have had previously done I am trying to put back surgery off as long as I am able. I’m 70 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.