Osteoarthritis and knee stiffness, causing personal problems!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

My sister has Osteo in  some joints, but severely in the knee!!  Her worst difficulty, is getting out of bed and to the toilet quick enough in the morning!!  Her leg refuses to move for a while because of the stiffness... This is distressing her, at just 50, it has been suggested, that a commode would help, but do anyone have any other ideas please, how have you dealt with this??redface  Thank you

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hello linda. I can identify with your sister although at the moment I an managing to get to the loo on time..........just. What medication is she taking? I have altered when I take some of mine to make it easier although your sister appears to be in much more pain.
    • Posted

The hospital has only given her in the 18months this has appeared pain killers and steroid injections (wonderful for her) but recently she tried Methotrexate...wow, she only tried two 15mg doses, it made her very ill...she couldn`t eat for two weeks with the pain....they are now offering her Sulphazalazine (to be discussed) Any thoughts, have you tried this....what helps you, if you don`t mind me asking.?
    • Posted

I take Naproxen but I have to also take 20mgs of Omeprazole daily otherwise it affect my stomach and codeine but the medication that's helped me most is Nefopam (also known as Acupan). It isn't an opiate so supposedly not addictive and it can be taken with other painkillers. I take 2-3 tablets up to 3 times a day. It's often given to post operative patients and to women in labour so it must be good! I take 2-3 tablets just before bed and I find it lessens the pain during the night. I also take my 2nd dose of Naproxen   as late as possible but as it's to be taken with food it is often not that late. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Thank you, will tell my sister....all suggestions welcome....
    • Posted

Ps,  My sister always says, the stiffness is mainly the problem, they have told her there is fluid behind her knee, they will not draw it off!...no knee replacement, too young ....do you know of anyone resolving the trapped fluid problem in a joint, on this forum in the past or at all?......Thank you..
    • Posted

I'm sorry linda I can't recall anything like that on this forum but I'm sure someone will know and hopefully reply. I honestly think it's unfair to say someone is too young to have a knee replacement. Surely it's all about the quality of life. If I were your sister I'd be requesting a 2nd opinion.
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I am so sorry for your sister.  She is so young to have this problem. She could try Flexiseq Gel. I have been using it since last June and it helps my knees. I've compared it with other over-the-counter creams and gels and, for me, Flexiseq is better.  There is a forum on here discussing this - I think it's in the Rheumatoid Arthritis section and you could try Googling this to try and find it. Either copy and paste or type into your browser:

does-anyone-know-what-flexiseq-and-its-active-ingredient-sequessome-is?

I have thrown in my 4 penn'oth once or twice on there so won't repeat myself unless you can't find it. You'll get lots of people's opinions on it. I buy 3 tubes for about £41.89 with free delivery from an online Pharmacy in Doncaster as it works out cheaper than paying over £18 a tube on the High Street!  I've asked my GP if she will prescribe it, giving her all the printed info. I've taken off the web. She raised it at a Practice Meeting but was turned down. Don't know why because it isn't a drug!  

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for that...i will tell my sister, but she may have already tried it in desperation....watch this space!  I will post on here when I know.....Can`t understand why so little is available for pain relief.......
  • Posted

Hi

You say your sister has osteo arthritis but some of the meds you mentionare for rheumatoid arthritis  ??? I would query that

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Apparently she has Inflammatory arthritis....which they say at the moment is Osteo, but I do wonder if it`s a wait and see situation....The Methotrexate, is for any inflammation, because I have Polymyalgia, and my Rheumy has suggested it to me while lowering the steroid dose....no way, not after seeing what it has done to my sister.  She has met others with Osteo on MTX....it`s a minefield for sure..Thank you...
    • Posted

Some of the medication prescribed for Rheumatoid Arthritis is prescribed for a number of conditions eg osteoarthritis and Lupus. 
    • Posted

I concur that some medications are prescribed for both oteo and rheumatoid arthritis. It's the same with other medications such as the anti depressant Amitriptyline which is prescribed for pain, i have had this for arthritis and Gaberpentin is a drug for epilepsy and i have this for nerve pain.
  • Posted

On a purely practical level,  she could set an alarm to wake her up in the night to use the loo, that way she might not be so desperate in the morning.  Alternatively, she could get a wee bottle with a female adapter.  My mum had one and although she couldn't use it lying down she was able to use it easily sitting on the edge of the bed.  I would also challenge the decision not to give her a knee replacement if things are that bad,
  • Posted

Hello Linda, I can relate to your sister as i have had arthritis from aged 11. I had my first knee replacement at aged 39 and then a revision one done at 52. I am on similar drugs to Matron. I take Naproxen, Nefopam, Codeine, Parecetamol and Gaberpentin which treats the nerve pain. I have arthritis in other knee now and the spine. I am currently having Pulsed shortwave therapy for other knee, ask GP about referral for physiotherapy, (  i was told exercises for my knees will not help ). this is supposed to help with fluid, had two treatments so far and will have four more. I have found some difference with the pain so far. I don't tend to have stiffnes in my knees as i have hypermobility and. However i do have stiffness in my spine and find gentle stretching exercises help. What drugs is your sister taking? 
  • Posted

I have also read recently about Tumeric drugs being used for arthritis, you can buy them at Holland and Barrett. I am cosidering them but have to check they do not react with my prescription drugs and find good personal reveiws about it first.
    • Posted

I was told that tumeric can help with osteoarthritis pain.  Also read Rose Hip can help.  I am very loathe to take prescription medicine for the pain as have had some nasty side effects.  Physiotherapist at hospital helped ease the pain last year and I was OK for a few months, but now back again.  I do the exercises she showed me.  Is it usual for athritis to flare up, calm down, and then flare up again? 

I have had private treatment for my back over the years, but now live on retirement pension and benefits and find it too costly.  I think I may order some Tumeric.  I get supplements on line, and take quite a few, mostly for help with depression.  Although one physiotherapist at hospital suggested Glucosomine, I have read it does not help with arthritis.  Also last ytear told to take Paracetamol, and recently read this does not help with back pain either.

I use Biofreeze and it helps a bit.  Interesting to read about what helps different people. 

• Posted

Hello Anne, Glucosomine didn't help me either. I also read that Parecetamol does not help with back pain. What is Biofreeze can you explain please. I do take prescription drugs as i have nerve pain as well as the Arthritis. The only drug that helps with the nerve pain is Gaberpentin. The nerve pain causes my knee to lock and is worse than Siatica so if this happens whilst walking i cannot move till the knee unlocks, very embarrasing in the street. Coedine also helps me to sleep at night. Let me know if Tumeric helps, i cannot afford them at the moment, mind you i think Holland and Barrett have the penny sale on. Are these things any cheaper on the internet, where do you buy from?

Hope your keeping quite well at the moment, have sent you an e.mail.

Elizabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.