Osteoarthritis and medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I am in my 60's and have OA in both knees and neck. I am waiting for xray results on my back as I suspect it may be there too. I am in pain every day but manage with just paracetamol. I think I

will probably need knee replacements in the near future. My question is does anyone know about

the pain post op and what medication is used in the first weeks. I ask this because I cannot take

codeine type drugs as they cause stomach cramps and constipation (I have IBS) I also find any

antibiotics do the same. I can take the odd ibuprofen but once again have to be careful because of

the IBS and reflux. I am concerned that as pain gets worse and post op there would be nothing I

could use for pain relief. Would be grateful for any info.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I havent had knee replacements but have had both hips replaced

I was given tramadol for my first one??? Any good?

For the 2nd one I was given codeine because tramadol "spaced me out" and I asked to be given something else.

Hope this is a bit of help

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure about Tramadol, although I googled it and it does mention care if you have asthma and thryoid disease, both of which I have.  Codeine and codrydamol made me spaced out as well as the cramps and constipation so I had to stop taking them and just do with paracetamol.  Fortunately the pain is not as bad as it was at least for the moment.  I suppose I will have to just

deal with it when the times comes.  Thanks again and Take care.

• Posted

Hi Again

My GP prescribed laxatives as well when I was on codeine.

When I'm on the lowest dose of them I find that Prune Juice works wink

but if they make you spaced out their is no point......talk to them at your pre assessment or if you see the consultant before hand.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

tramadol isnt a opiate theres slow and fast release kinds to help if it spaces you out it acts on the opiate receptors in your brain like a opiate would but its not considered narcotic.There is gabbapentin and pre_gabapentin this is commonly prescribed for nerve damage syatica etc it is a painkiller though and if opiates give you problems theyd definately try you on them but it would be tramadol first remember everyones different pain threshold wise etc.Its a strange old world as i get massive releif for my ibs with co co do mol as the ibs gives me diarhoea all the time Do you have gluten and lactose issues as well, do you have the HLA_B27 GENE witch is assosiated with ibs ank spon and iritis gluton etc  best of luck with your op ian 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.