osteoarthritis and work and life

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 39 and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis . On zomorph dihydrocodeine naproxen gabapentin amytriptaline for the pain still try to work but its got the better of me atm and cant function doing normal chores. Im due for mri scan as they want to see what the discs are up to. Any advice - i feel like a waste of space at the minute and cant help but feel bad towards the kids any info or advice would be really appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Of the spine Sandie?  I have that too but I'm 66 and have retired which makes the work thing easier. That's a hefty bunch of painkillers you're on and bound to make you feel grumpy.    I religiously do my back exercises which is painful but does seem to loosen things up a bit and help with the nerves that get pinched.  That is the most painful bit for me so I try to keep moving.  No other advice I'm afraid but I'm sure you'll be getting more replies.  Good luck with the MRI and I hope they can do something to help smile   
  • Posted

Hi Sandie,

My Goodness!  If I was taking a cocktail of pills such as you are, I think I'd be a total zombie and probably no use to man nor beast so  you have my sympathy!  I have multiple osteoarthritis but, whilst it started about your age, it has only gradually affected other joints as I've aged and I'm now 82.  However, I'm still mobile - which is important - and able to enjoy my life within limitations so don't worry about your future.  At present you have a lot to contend with, having children and a job, so I daresay there's a fair amount of tension in your muscles and joints which only add to the pain.  I cannot offer any advice I'm afraid but do try to keep positive and hopefully the scan will reveal the cause of your problems and the best way to deal with it.  I would just suggest you don't sit too long at a time as everything tends to seize up and getting going is more difficult - rest a bit then move a bit, etc. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hello Sandie, i can relate to your pain and frustrations. I started with Septic arthritis at aged 11 then at 39 had first knee replacement then replaced again at aged 52, i was diagnosed with Osteo arthritis in the spine at aged 40. I now have Osteo arthritis in my other knee and currently having a type of heat treatment for that. I take a cocktail of drugs, gaberpentin, naproxen, nefopam, codeine and parecetamol and still get pain. I have had amitriptyline in the past. Amitriptyline is good for helping with sleep as it as a sedative effect, thou it makes you tired next day. Coedine as a similar effect. The best advice i can give you is to keep mobile as much as you can. Stretching exercises in the morning is helpful as your spine seizes up when asleep over night. Don't sit too long get up and move about. Do everything in moderation, if you can walk a gentle walk each day is good. I am not able to walk much now because of my knees and i am in constant pain including nerve pain. I am only 58. So everthing in moderation. I hope the mri scan doesn't show too much damage. Anytime you want to talk you can pm me as i have now had arthritis for 47 years most of my life, there is not much i don't know about this debilitating condition.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.  

• Posted

Hiya . I got my MRI result today. I have osteoarthritis of spine two herniated discs which are pressing on nerves causing sciatica and numbness in toes I also have a cyst on my spine and degenerative disc disease. I am 49 and basically there is nothing that can be done unless I have spinal surgery but even then I have to wait for the leg pain to become severe and the surgery will ease the leg pain but not the back pain. I take the occasional voltorol when it's really bad .
  • Posted

Thanks very much everyone. Im just very down at the moment. I work in a call centre with hard targets and being off regularly doesnt help as if im not in work i dont get paid - stuck between a rock and a hard place. Just dont know what to do with regards to work - i have an appt with the doctor later so going to chat with him x

Thanks again

• Posted

It does get you down sometimes and it's very easy to get into a downward spiral.  I hope you have a supportive partner and your children are old enough to understand how you feel.  Are you not entitled to any benefits whilst you are off work?  Good luck with the GP appointment.  Tell him how you feel emotionally as well as physically x
    • Posted

I'm already under a psyciatrist and take 150mg venloflaxine. Im on my own. My boyfriend doesnt live close. My 13yr old is a good help. My 2 friends help me as much as they can, but it does make me feel worthless. I'm not entitled to anything as i work. Still have all my bills to pay as i get no help at all. Ive even had to pay my friends mum to tidy round and do my washing. I dont want to get to the point where i am more down again. I know I'm moaning but

I just dont know what to do with myself xxx

• Posted

Moan away.  I know it's a big step, but have you considered getting some information on what you help you could get if you gave up work?  I know you are young, but if your health is preventing you from working, and is likely to be of a long-standing nature, maybe - at least temporarily - not working would be a viable option if you could get benefits.  You might be able to get  DLA in addition to Income support.  I don;t know much about benefits but there are plenty who claim them because they don't want to work so you are certainly entitled if you can't work and you could always volunteer on the days you feel well enough.  Just a thought x
    • Posted

I had thought of that - but like yourself don't know much about benefits. I'll have to see what the doctor says. I'm going to call the dwp too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.