Osteoarthritis in both hands

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the thumb area.  This pain has been slowly creaping up on me for the past 3 years.  The pain has now gotten to the point I can barely pick up anything without horrific pain. My Rheumatologist had me do physical theraphy last year which did nothing.  I recently started on 15mg of Meloxicam and Lidocaine patches which have done nothing.  I am also wearing a splint.  Is there any other meds out there that may help me like Cymbalta etc...  I was thinking of getting Cortisone injections to atleast try and see if they work.  I have been told they are very painful but if they work I would be willig to try.I am 53 and this is starting to interfere with everything I do. I just don't know what step I should take next.  I in no way want surgery.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your pain samantha.  I too have OA in both thumb joints.  At times it is really horrific as you say.  I had an injection which was horrendously painful and really rather ineffective so I wouldnt recommend them.  I have issues with many pain meds, totally unable to take any opiates and anti inflamms either dont work or cause terrible stomach problems.  I am presently trying curcumin (its the active ingredient in turmeric) I buy high dose curcumin capsules from the health food shop.  Not sure yet if it's really effective but the pain has definitely lessened a little but not gone away.  One thing that has helped a lot is ginger.  The fresh root rather than powdered.  You can either buy the fresh root, peel and grate it or you can buy fresh grated ginger paste in indian stores - make sure its the one without too many added ingredients.  I mix it with hand cream and slap it on, put on some thin cotton gloves (got them from Boots the Chemist) and leave it for a couple of hours.  The pain relief is tangible - really lowers the inflammation.  I also drink ginger tea (there's a good one with lemon which is delicate flavoured).  I'm trying to avoid surgery as I have friends in the USA who've had it done and the recovery time is very long and painful.  Hope you find something to help.

• Posted

Thank you Loxie! I will try the ginger to see if it helps. I am willing to try just about anything.
  • Posted

Hello samantha. Im 45 and also have osteoarthritis in both hands. I saw a doctor at the hand clinic last week and he bluntly said im heading for surgery for my right thumb as the arthritis is so bad he said that he usually sees this much deterioration in someone over 60 and in his opinion its beyond treatment. I am waiting to be fitted with splints until i have the surgery. I know how you feel with the pain as even picking a pen up is excruciating for me. I hope you find something that works for you.
    • Posted

Kim, I am so sorry you have to have surgery. I know I am heading in that direction too. My doctor just injected cortisone in my right thumb. I'm still in pain but nothing like before. He gave me a prescription for Celebrex which I have not started yet. I wish I had gotten the cortisone shot a long time ago. Everyone commented how painful those shots are so I held off. My doctor numbed the area by freezing it with a spray of some sort and I felt absolutely nothing.  I know this is only temporary and surgery is next but I'm trying to hold off because of the down time. Please keep us posted on your progress. You are so young to have arthritis that severe. I guess arthritis has no age limit. I see people in their late 80's that have no pain in their hands. I just don't get it. I guess we can blame it on bad genes😭. Good luck Kim!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.