Osteoarthritis in both hips and knees Need advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone, I’m new to this group and need some advice. 

I’m 34 and been suffering the last two years with osteoarthritis in both hips and knees. It’s quite server and past key hole surgery. There is no cartilage left in my hips. My consultant has said my hips are at the age of 89 and I’m too young for hip replacements so does this mean I just wait till the disitagrate? I work with learning disabilities and have worked in the same place for 19 years I love my job very much and find it so rewarding my consultant has said I’ve got to change my life style and job. I’m a single mum of two and have to work to make ends meet not sure what I could change my job to as all my quilifacations and experience are all in my current job. It took me two years to get this diagnosis and now I just feel I been left with no answers. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The new ceramic hips last 30 years before a revision is needed.  You are not to young for replacements and should if it is effecting you quality of life.  If you are bone on bone, a good orthopedic would not tell you that you are to young for replacements.  Because you are so young, you will recover quite quickly.  

• Posted

Thank you Susan. My consultant said that because of my job and it being demanding on my feet they would only last half the time they are suppose to. He said if I have to have another replacement within my lifetime it wouldn’t work as well as the first. I’m just confused and unknown of what to do. I have pics of my X-rays and mri 
    • Posted

Is there a way that your workplace can accommodate you so less stress is placed on your hips and knees - whether old ones or new ones?
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, I’ve shortened my shift hours so I’m not on my feet for as long but when your taking care of people there is not much you can change in the my role. I’m still bending twisting and turning. 
    • Posted

I had my first hip replaced at 51 and was back at work at 3 1/2 weeks, and playing doubles tennis again with my friends at 8 weeks. I currently do a barbell weight class one day a week, hot yoga, and recreational tennis.   I too was miserable before the hip replacement and hurt all the time.  After the replacement I was reborn.  Having my 2nd hip replaced in 2 weeks, and plan to return to everything but running, what gave me the osteoarthritis in the first place.  

I think you need to plan on replacements soon,  and you may not have to change the work you do. Do you do heavy lifting?  If are just on your feet all day, you will be fine.  

Life is about the quality, and your quality sounds quite painful now, and will only get worse.  You will be amazed at how well you feel with replacements.

• Posted

I don't really know, but could an occupational therapist help?  They may be able to help you figure out ways to minimize the stresses your work places on the joints.  And what an encouraging reply from Susan, who is returning to all the activities she used to be able to do.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Sally,

?You don't say which country you are in?  I am 52, and had a replacement in September 2017. I too, have worked in a very physical, caring job since I was 19. I am sure my condition was made much worse by the heavy lifting etc. What I can tell you is that you need sorting out now. You won't be able to continue for much longer as you are, and then will be no use to your employer and will be totally miserable and in pain 24/7. I wish I had sought help so much sooner than I did. (and I am nearly 20 years older than you!) Of course you aren't too young. It should really be on clinical need and your quality of life. If you can get surgery you will be back at work in no time.....I was back at work at 9 weeks. If you have severe arthritis now, changing jobs and lifestyle advice is a bit too late. Please try to talk to your consultant again. There is no reason why you should have to leave your profession if you get the right treatment, you might have to adapt a bit that's all biggrin

• Posted

Aww thank you jools, I’m from the uk. 

Maybe it’s because of cut backs in our nhs that’s he’s saying what he is reading some story’s on here it’s apparent that a few people my age have had the operation done. It is very pain full if my hips “click” I’m in  extreme  pain that only goes away if I fall asleep (if I can with the pain and discomfort) but when I wake up it’s fine. My body must relax and hips go back in to place. I feel it in my knees as well. I’m laying in bed and both legs are   pulsating with aches and pains. Doctors are giving me tramadol to take for pain relief but I don’t like taking them they can become addictive. 

• Posted

Hi Sally

Is it possible to see a different consultant/ surgeon?   No way should you have to live with that type pain and be on Tramadol for years until that doctor thinks you are old enough.   You are suffering terribly now and I think you would be so much better if you had the surgery sooner .   You may have to consider a different job.   Maybe a different patient population or role    But i would wait and see after the surgery

how you are doing

• Posted

Hi Gloria,

I’m going back to see my doctor I’m not happy with what my consultant has said. He sat there told me my hips are at the age of 89year old and have no  Cartlidge left in both hips but I’m too young for the replacements. My knees are now suffering.  

I live with the pain everyday some days worse than most. 

I’m trying my best to be active and continue with day to day tasks and work. Will have to see what my doctor says. 

Thank you for asking how I’m doing 🙂

• Posted

Hi sally imtoo in the same boat as yourself im 38 and was diagnosed 7 years ago with grade 4 rapid onset osteoarthritis and have had to stop work, ive seen 4 world class orthapedicts who have all said no to knee replacements although they look like ive been i a motor bike accident they said if i have now would need another 5 in my lifetime so i too feel we have just been left to deal with it. Have you tried morphine patches for the pain i use everyday its brings the pain down a bit.
  • Posted

I would look for another doctor. It bothers me that if we were professional athletes, surgery would be done regardless of age. What the medical professionals dont realize is our quality of life disinigrates. They should fight to help their patients get the procedures they need to improve quality of life, regardless of profession or income. I wish you luck!
    • Posted

Thank you I’m in the middle of changing Doctors and they have said they will send me for a second opinion but it’s all because of the NHS says 60yrs and above for hip replacements 😡. Can’t understand if it will give me such a better quality of life pain free and work longer but they would rather me claim benifits and possibility of being in a wheelchair or having a walking aid. 

• Posted

It appears that commonsense is not a common quality of bureaucrats.  A cousin of mine was in a wheelchair before she had two ankle replacements at about age 50.  She was told they would last ten years and could not be redone.  It has been well over fifteen years, she has been very careful, swimming rather than walking, for example, to get exercise, and as far as I know still has two functioning ankles. smile  This was in the UK.
  • Posted

Dear Sally, 

My heart just aches for you and my body aches with yours!  I am 60 years old and had my total right hip replacement done in 1986 when I was 28 years old.  I do not know where you live but if you are in California....... UCSF is where I had my hip done..... back then it was suppose to be a "life time" hip...... just found out it is broken and worn out!  lol.... so much for lifetime....... but my point to this is that they have a "sports" hip... which claims that you can reclaim your activity..... many famous football players and such have received this hip BUT were not told that the hip would need replacement every 10 years!!!!!! ....... while mine only lasted 31 years I don't think I could handle having replacements every 10 years...... I do know that the hip replacement techniques have come a long way since 1986.  

If I were you I would go to a new orthopedist......I think yours needs to experience some chronic and acute bone pain so get some INSIGHT in to what you and his other patients are going through......

My back surgeon was very unsympathetic to all the crazy post ob problems I had.  One day I asked him IF he had ever even had a back injury...... he said NO...... now he calls me a gypsy witch because I told him I wished he would hurt his back..... Needless to say.....2 months later my appointment with him was cancelled as he was in the hospital with a "back injury" he received when he slipped in surgery....... when the nurse told me I did smile and chuckle after I hung up.  Three weeks later when I saw him he accused me jokingly that I had "cursed" him...... then he "apologized" for the way he had reacted to my pain complaints..... he now knew first hand what it is like to not be able to make it to the toilet because your back is screaming..... He told me that getting hurt was the best thing that ever happened to him..... that he would treat all his patients differently from then on........ and I think that may be your doctors problem.... he needs to get hurt! lol..... not that I am putting a "gypsy curse" on him..... lol...... do not give up on your career!!!  what you do makes you an angel in my eyes..... my brother has Down's Syndrome........Special Ed teachers should all receive big raises if you ask me......

I am going to add you to my prayers..... keep good thoughts in my mind for you..... I hope you write a different discussion soon!

If you want to vent..... I am here....... Erela

• Posted

Hi Erela,

Such a lovely message thank you so much. Made me smile and giggle 🤗

I’m from the uk. 

It’s very hard to live with people around you don’t understand the pain you suffer. 

I’ve just changed Doctors and he’s said he will send me for a second oppinion but thinks it will be the same answer because of our NHS. If I go private it would cost £22.000 🤭 that’s 2 years of my wages. 

I’m so sorry to hear all you have been through and now the hip replacement has broken 😔

I can understand you can be so frustrated after being told (lies) saying it would last you forever. Are you having a replacement done? Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.