osteoarthritis in knees

Posted , 5 users are following.

Help I have been told I have to have both knees replaced going to see the surgeon on Thursday what happens. I am in severe pain and walking with crutches but I have been told I am too young is this right I am 42.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Barbara,  It depends on the problems you are having and the consultant.  Some consultants would not consider knee replacements untill your past retirement.  I had a knee replacement at aged 39 and then a revision one done aged 52.  I am now having a lot of nerve pain and mobility is poor. My first knee replacement was more successful than the second, that is usually the case.  Have you got Osteo Arthritis?

Elizabeth. 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I can hardly walk the pain is awful can't sleep. My xray shows its bone on bone. My nan and mum both had the same problems at a very young age. I am at the end of my tether with it all.

• Posted

Hello Barbara,  Tell the consultant the difficulties you are having and the pain.  What meds are you on?  The reasons the consultants are reluctant to do replacements are because as Eileen as said is because they will need doing again.  Ask about other treatments,  i have heard about stell cell treatment, don't know much about it thou.  You are entitled to a second opinion so if your not happy with the consultanopinion then seek another opinion.  Sometimes in can be down to financies in your area of the NHS, thou this does not help you. Your suffering so need help with your condition.

Ask your consultant for a reveiw of meds. I can tell you what i take if you want me to.  

I will say that my own experience is that the reason i had a knee replacement at a young age was because i had Septic Arthritis as a child and it developed into Osteo Arthritis. I had a badly deformed leg due to childhood operations and my still growing at the time. My tibia and fibia was affected and i was bow leged.  I was like this for a few years untill the ligaments went in my groin and i was unable to walk, and had to use crutches without weight bearing on that leg. My knee was so deformed that it was on the outside of the leg instead of the middle.  I would of been in a wheelchair if i had not had a knee replacement.  13 years later i had it replaced again as i lost bone and broke my leg because it had weekened, i slipped on my kitchen floor.  Had a bone graft and the knee replaced with the broken leg. Second knee replacement is 5 years old and now i am suffering nerve problem and locking and as become weak.  I am seeing my consultant today and will disscuss my prognosis a i have poor mobility now.  I was told in the past that they may not be able to do a third replacement.  I have Osteo Arthritis in my other knee now of which i am having Electric treatment for , also have Osteo Arthritis in my lower back.  I live alone and don't drive . I am trying to be positive, but i do get depressed about it sometimes.  

Let me know how you get on with the consultant.  

It is mainly because of future problems why the consultants are reluctant to do knee replacements on such a young age unless absolutely neccessary.  This does not help you as you want relief now. Consider all your options first.  My first knee replacement gave me almost 100% pain free and good mobility.  My second one not so,  in paain everyday and mobility impaired.  

I wish you luck and hope that something will be offered to you.

Elizabeth.    

• Posted

Hi Barbara

I think knees are the same as hips.....most cnsultants wont replace them before late 50' s or 60.......The wear out too quickly and you have to have them done agin.....Thats OK for them to say but doesnt help your quality of life

Sorry that  all I can tell you

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

If you are in the UK google NICE guidelines for knee replacements    I bet if you were going private they would do it. I have had 2 finger joint replacements done privately but I understand the NHS rarely doing them these days.  I also know someone who had a hhip replacement done in their 40's but they were in the medical profession.

You can always get a second opinion, so go do some reserach and find a consultant who will do it on younger people. best of luck

• Posted

Hello Barbara 

I just learnt that a friend found relief from knee pain with laser treatment.

It sounds like he has the same problem as me, OA. Two weeks ago I began 

acupunture treatment for the right knee, lower spine and right wrist. I used to spend a lot of time gardening on my knees but not any longer. The only real exercise I get is aquafitness. It's good to be able to move without having to

stand, we wear floatation belts. I trust you will find the right treatment, Alpine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.