Osteoarthritis in left hip trouble getting socks on

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, after 6 months post knee replacement due to osteoarthritis I thought my lack of mobility in leg was due to weak muscles etc ...I've now found out my hip is bone on bone ...as well as pain on out side of my leg I'm finding it difficult to get socks on my foot and impossible to cut toe nails as I can't move my leg/ foot towards me ...anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I had the same problem as I had AVN of left hip.

I'm 5 months post op after having THR but I'm still having the same problem with getting socks, shoes and impossible to cut my toenails... Costing a fortune in pedicures lol.

All joking aside its very, very frustrating!!!

• Posted

Gosh , I thought that would all disappear once I have my operation ...
  • Posted

I find not being able to put on socks and shoes or cut toenails one of the most frustrating things with hip arthritis (mine is right hip).  I too thought that hip replacement would give me back this movement.  I'm rethinking the op now.  Not sure I want to go through all that and still have the same issue.

• Posted

Having the op was an end to the terrible pain but not being able to do simple things for myself is so frustrating😩😡.

My surgeon told me to expect thigh/groin pain for up to a year... I must admit I was expecting everything to be as it was before hip problem but of course it will never be the same... I also need to have patience 🙄 And not try to push myself too much which, I admit I do at times.

• Posted

I've had this problem with both putting on my socks and trimming my toenails for quite a while because I have a bad back and when I lift my right leg to put my sock on I get a lot of pain. So I've had to enlist my husband to trim my toenails and I have recently purchased an item that assist you in putting on your socks so you don't have to bend over. They're really not very expensive at all and you can find them on Amazon or many other medical type places.

• Posted

I use an aid to put socks on, I got mine from Amazon, it's so simple but clever, it's a pliable plastic device with long tapes that you put your sock onto then place your foot into sock and pull up .

Maybe not the best description but really clever and inexpensive.

I'm toying with the idea of getting long handle toenail scissors but not sure I can use them as I too suffer with my back and don't want to put my new hip at risk as it wasn't cemented into place.

Has anyone used them and found them helpful??

• Posted

What about getting a pedicure instead of trying to do it yourself? I personally cannot stand a pedicure. ( pardon the pun) as I am very ticklish and I hate the feeling of nails and calluses being filed. I did try going in to a salon that does pedicures and ask them if they would not do the filing but they could do everything else. I only did that once or twice and found it very cumbersome to try to get them to understand. The ladies in the salon were of Asian descent and did not speak or understand a lot of English. So I just quit trying. I think but I'm not certain that you might be able to get your nails clipped at the doctor's office and have insurance pay for it if you have diabetes. If you do have diabetes you might look into that. Of course that only applies to anyone living in the US

• Posted

I have this problem although I haven’t had any replacements yet. It’s so frustrating having to rely on family members to help me.  I have OA in knees, hips and back. 
  • Posted

Hi I understand your frustration but for me being mostly unable to pull on socks except on good days and getting the other half to cut toenails is the small tip of a big iceberg. Lack of quality of life due to hip pain made a hip replacement a total no brainer for me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.