Osteoarthritis In Neck

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am a 45 year old male and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in various parts of my body 4-5 years ago.

I have been " coping " with the pain on a daily basis since then and previously only taken Paracetamol and ibuprofen.

6 months ago i was put on amitriptyline and a short course of naproxen. I also had physio via telephone due to the pandemic, but hasn't really helped.

The pain will not go and have today been told by my surgeries nurse practitioner to increase my amitriptyline to 2 each night and she also prescribed me codeine.

My question really is this, she said that there is basically nothing more that can be done and this will just get worse over time, so i asked if there was any type of operation to which she replied no. Its getting me so down and low now ☹ Anyone got any suggestions ?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'd suggest a physiotherapist. They can help you strengthen muscles which support the affected joints. I personally have had OA for several decades (diagnosed at 40 now in 70s) and have never taken medication specifically to deal with OA pain. You need to know that the nsaids interfere with cartilage renewal and are therefore counterproductive. I've taken glucosamine (a capsule, not a hard tablet) two doses of 1000 mg a day (with morning and evening meal) for a very long time., almost since diagnosis. This is not a painkiller but a long term way to preserve cartilage. The jury is still out on whether it actually works, but considering how well I've done all these years I believe it must have some good effect.

If your hips or knees trouble you and you can afford to lose some weight, do so!

• Posted

Hi Lee,

I am sorry to hear that you have Osteoarthritis in many areas of your body.

Amitriptyline helps with sleep but unfortunately it as side effects, weight gain and for me nightmares. Codeine also helps with sleep.

Exercise is good, a physiotherapist will help with this. Walking and swimming is good also.

I currently take Pregabilyn which causes weight gain. I also take Naproxen. Acupuncture may help some people.

To be told there are no operations is not true. These days they can do replacements thou your young at the moment. Knees, hips and shoulders can all be replaced. I have had Arthritis since aged 11 and have had both of my knees replaced, first one aged 39, due to numerous problems from being a young age. I have arthritis in my lower spine, both knees and signs of it in my hips, the hips are normal degeneration for my age, I am now 64. Arthritis is manageable ,there is hope for the future with new treatments. Eat healthy and try not to put on too much weight.

Elizabeth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.