Osteoarthritis in the spine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I've had problems with my back for 28 years (I'm 49), started with stiffness at 21, then from age 30 occasional bouts of extreme pain with muscle spasm but fine inbetween bouts.  I had a cat scan and have been told that there is general damage to the discs and that I have arthritis of the spine.  I'm not sure my symptoms fit well with this diagnosis? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jenfrance, I have had Osteoarthritis in the spine also for last 18 years, i am 58 now. Your symptoms are similar to mine. My spine is stiff in the mornings and can take an hour to ease. I have muscle spasms and at the moment i am particulary bad as bending now is very painful and almost in constant pain. I also have Osteoarthritis in my knees and have had two knee replacements on the left one. I do stretching exercise and try to keep moving. Can i ask what drugs your on? 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I don't get any stiffness in the mornings and I'm totally okay between the acute bouts of pain - the muscle spasms are so strong I can't move, most ecruciating pain I've ever felt.  I'm sorry you're in constant pain.

I only take meds when the pain is acute - then I have steroids, muscle relaxants plus valium (for the muscle relaxant properties) and highest dose of codeine.  I am allergic to anti inflammatories so they're not an option.

Jen

• Posted

Hello, I can only speak from my own experience and maybe Osteoarthritis affects everyone differently. Have another word with your GP and ask more about your symptoms.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi

I have osteoarthritis in my lower spine but also scoliosis {curvature of the spine}

I'm very stiff and quite sore in the mornings, it takes a while before it eases,.

I also have had 2 hip replacements.

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen

Sounds like you've been through a lot. I don't get any stiffness in the mornings, I'm really flexible and pain free inbetween the acute bouts of muscle spasm, this is why I'm puzzled by the diagnosis.

Jen

• Posted

Updating. I got a second opinion from a Doctor who has seen me when my pain is acute. As well as the general deterioration of discs (consistent with OA) the cat scan had shown two herniated discs. As I suspected, my symptoms and pain are consistent with a recurring disc prolapse and not OA.

The Dr who read my scan results clearly saw deterioration of my discs and my age and decided OA (which I may well have but is not causing me any problems at the moment). I'm now seeing a Physio and have been referred for an MRI.

• Posted

Glad you got a second opinion and you will be getting the treatment for this.  

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi

Thats good that you have had a second opinion and that you seem as if you've been proved correct

Hope you get it sorted

Love

Eileen UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.