Osteoarthritis is both hips

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all,

?Well I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis? in both my hips. I am 50. The x ray showed narrowing of the joint space in both hips. They say it is mild but I have been suffering from pain, weakness and sciatica. It is affecting my left side more than the right which almost feels normal. I have always been fit and a regular gym goer doing a mixture of cardio and weights but this has somewhat knocked my for six. My symptoms are hip, buttock and groin pain resulting in sciatica down the entire left leg. My hamstrings and groin area is very tight. It is almost as if these muscles are pulling on the hip. It's funny things you used to do like pushing a shopping trolley become hard because of the pain, weakness and tightness. Doctor has prescribed me Lansoprazole, Naproxen and Amitriptyline. I have been taking these and they have helped. I am due to see a Physiotherapist in two weeks.

?It's all very frustrating and does get me down sometimes. My Mum who sadly passed away last year also suffered from OA and I can fully understand the problems she was having. ?I would be grateful on any advice from forum members on how I can get myself back to a "normal" life?

?Thank you.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A quick update ... I had my first Physiotherapy session last week.

After I explained my pain, tightness, medication, xray I explained that I thought my pain may be due to muscle imbalance. He did not dismiss it and assessed me. He worked on my hamstrings, glute maximum, glute medius and adductors. These were all tight and sore so there was some pain as he worked on these. The session was concluded with some acupuncture. He gave me some exercises to do and I have been doing the exercises daily. I can say that I feel a little better after the first session. I have another appointment booked in this Saturday.

​Susan the trigger point treatment also helps relieve the pain but like you said it is temporary but effective.

• Posted

The next thing to TRY and convince your physio of is that it's no use just working on the sore hip. 

If you have twisting of the entire spine and sacrum/pelvis (and I would bet a lot of money that you do) then it makes it impossible for the muscles around the hip to work correctly. You can work on the hips until the cows come home and make very little progress.

They key is to get the core muscles balanced out. This allows you to correctly control the position of spine and sacrum/pelvis, which in turn allows hip muscles to work correctly.

Failure to accept this is why physical therapy (in my opinion) typically fails to get good results, which in turn is why they fall back on the 'incurable disease' option.

That said, any strengthening of weak muscles around the hip will help so keep it up!!!

Just keep faith that you can either fix this or massively improve symptoms. It's all too easy to give up when you get a couple of failures or setbacks, but the key to success is to keep fighting! 

• Posted

Susan,

​Thank you for your reply. ​I will try and get the Physio to look at the spine, sacrum and pelvis too.

​I am still here fighting and intend to keep doing that :-)

• Posted

Point out to him that if the pelvis is rotated at rest, then one hip will be held in internal rotation and the other in external rotation. The internally rotated side will have glutes and ext rotators all in a lengthened position - mechanical disadvantage. Typically, it's the internally rotated side that's symptomatic. 

Make the point that if you try and strengthen those weak, lengthened muscles in order to pull the pelvis back into alignment then chances are you won't succeed. Chances are you'll end up with more pain as those weak muscles try to support your weight AND fight the pull of much stronger muscles elsewhere in your body. You need to reset the resting length of the muscles in the core and the non-symptomatic hip first. That puts the skeleton into better alignment and you'll have much more success at strengthening up those weak hip muscles on the symptomatic side. 

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your sound advice. I understand what you are saying. I have noticed some symptoms on the right side too although my troublesome side is the left hip. I will keep you posted on how I get on. Glad you are on this forum to point us all in the right direction. Your input is most appreciated.

• Posted

I have read that taking half a tea spoon of turmeric powder and honey in warm water first thing in the morning can help with arthritis pain.

Anyone on here tried it?

• Posted

I tried the turmeric with honey over about 3 or 4 months and it made no difference whatsoever I'm afraid.  I was also told to take the squeezed juice of half a lemon every morning.  I tried this for about 3 months too, but it made no difference.  I currently take glucosamine 1000mg and cod liver oil 1000mg daily.  I take Naproxen 500mg on days when I have to do something physical like my pilates class or drive a long distance etc.  

• Posted

Hi ... thanks for your reply.

​I am on Naproxen 500mg too. I am already taking cod liver oil but will have to check the mg. I have heard good things about glucosamine. Will have to give that a try too. How long you been taking glucosamine?

• Posted

Thanks for the link. I will order some and see how I get on.
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

?I am a little better but still have pain and tightness in various muscles. The Physio has helped but doesn't look like it's going to "cure" me. I guess it's all very complex and although he recognises a muscle imbalance I don't think he really knows how to treat it. I have been told that my gait is not good when walking and I have weak glutes, core and lower back and this is affecting my hamstrings and adductors. I am still on the Naproxen but have decreased to 250mg twice a day as it seems to be affecting my blood pressure. I have a test next week to see if the Naproxen is having any detrimental effect on my kidneys. I today purchased a copy of your book hoping it will shed some light and assist me in my quest to overcome the OA.

• Posted

It's WAY too soon to assume you're not going to be cured! 

In my case, I can look back and realise that my 'twisted pelvis' (which perhaps best describes what's wrong in ALL cases of hip OA that I've come across) was developing for around 3 decades before I first had problems with my hip. In the 8 or so years leading up to my first twinges in my hip I can in retrospect think of umpteen symptoms that developed that I dismissed as trivial. Big toe OA was first, occasional spells of Achilles tendinitis, my front kick (I did karate) suddenly took on a crescent path that I couldn't for the life of me correct, I suddenly switched overnight from being a right leg kicker to a left leg kicker, when I did situps my right leg would lift off the ground, instructors noticed my shoulders tracking abnormally.....the list goes on. These were ALL down to the muscle imbalance that ultimately led to hip pain and a hip OA diagnosis. Further down the line it took out shoulders, neck and back too! 

The point being, it takes years to develop so you can't expect to correct it overnight. 

The book should help guide you - really you need to primarily think of it as a core problem. Some people report huge improvements in 2 or 3 weeks, but I think the norm is likely to be that it takes many months - in my case it took years, but I didn't have the book to give me a head start! 

I can't remember if I've said this to you, but exploring trigger point treatment can yield the best results when it comes to getting pain under control. HOWEVER, don't make the mistake of getting so caught up with that that you don't do the corrective exercise. All too many people get fantastic results with trigger point treatment so they keep focusing on that ...then, several months later when they've stopped making progress they incorrectly conclude that they won't get any better. Trigger point treatment gives SYMPTOMATIC relief; use it to manage symptoms and keep things freed up, but it's the activation exercises that will lead to the best results. 

I'll warn you now - it FEELS like you can't do the exercises. When you try to work those lazy glutes everything feels locked down tight and rather than a normal muscle contraction you get pain. However, that's normal when you have badly atrophied muscle. It's made more complicated by the fact that you have multiple muscles that act on the hip - all pulling in different directions. When they're all atrophied and in a shortened state they prevent each other from working correctly. It can feel hopeless at times. You just need to be patient and keep working at it. Even just squeezing the muscle - tiny movements - will in time start to work. I can guarantee that if you get those muscles to make the slightest twitch then slowly but surely they'll start to strengthen and lengthen. Persistence is the key, and regardless of the root cause of your symptoms it WILL help. In the early stages I found it easiest to work the muscles in bed last thing at night and first thing in the morning and also whenever I was in the bath. This is when you're most relaxed and your body is supported. Tiny muscle contractions is all you need in the beginning - it IS working, even though it doesn't feel like it. 

Good luck, and drop me a line if you need any help. By email via my website is best as I don't seem to get notified when I get private messages  on here. 

• Posted

Thank you for your message Susan. I have sent you an email via your website.
  • Posted

Hi Hiten I was diagnosed with OA in both hips just over 7 years ago although it is much worse in the right hip and the last x ray came back as "significant OA" in the right hip. I have managed it with a combination of exercise and supplements - I take glucosamine and chondroitin and turmeric supplements. I rarely need to take pain killers. However, the OA in the right hip now means that everything is out of alignment which affects my walking and so my muscles/pelvis/back are out of alignment so I am now thinking I may have to have a replacement done in the next year or so. The pain thing is odd as I have very little pain but others with only mild OA have a lot of pain. I am looking into stem cell replacement. Hopefully, for you it will settle down with the right treatment. Since diagnosis (which was not a surprise as my mother had hips replaced) I have managed to travel to some quite remote places including trekking in North India so it is possible to get back to normal. I am determined to stave off surgery for as long as possible. Good luck

• Posted

Hi,

​Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am slowly seeing the benefits of physiotherapy and exercise. ​I am waiting for my order of glucosamine to arrive and have been taking turmeric with honey in warm water every morning. I too want to try and get back to normal and enjoy the activities I used to do. For me the pain varies some days it is bad others it is ok. One of the side effects of Naproxen is weight gain and I have put on around 5lbs in weight which I am not happy about. Once the inflammation is down I am going to stop taking the Naproxen and see what happens. ​Good luck I hope all goes well for you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.