osteoarthritis is hands and wrists

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with OA about 6 weeks ago in both wrists and hands, im taking Naproxen 500mg twice daily, i was just wondering if there is anyone else who suffers at night with the pain and is kept awake with it. Looking for any tips or other medications which might help to ease the discomfort. Thanking yousad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I really sympathise Lisa, I too have it in both hands, in my thumb joints and it does often keep me awake at night.  I find naproxen really upsets my stomach, even with a stomach protector like omeprazole etc., so I try not to take too much.  I have found some natural anti inflammatory remedies that work - curcumin (found in turmeric, but the spice only has around 5% active ingredient, so its better to buy curcumin capsules from a health food store), also ginger - fresh root ginger.  You can either steep in boiling water and then add lemon juice to drink like a tea, or I also mince it up and mix it with body oil and rub it into the affected area - it does work.  Try researching foods which have natural anti inflammatory properties, there are lots.  Pharmaceuticals often have such horrid side effects that I try to find a way of easing the pain and inflammation without taking them, although I will admit I have to give in sometimes when the inflammation is off the scale sad  Epsom salts (magnesium) are good for pain relief too - I sometimes soak in a bath with them in the water, or soak my hands in a bowl with epsom salts and warm water, that helps particularly at this time of the year with cold, damp weather making them worse.  I hope you find something that works for you.
  • Posted

I wish there was medication that stops the pain, I have had osteoarthritis for 20 years, I am 63 and for the last 2 years the pain is so intense in my arms I get terrible pain in the left shoulder going all down to the hands, my right arm has pain in it as well, my neck left side back spine going down from neck. I also have had sciatica on left side which feels strange in my bladder. I take codeine and paracetamol but it does nothing, the other evening I took codeine paracetamol tramadol and diazepam I felt great for the evening but woke like I had an hangover. If you find anything that really helps please let me know, it does get me down being in pain all day and night. Take care x

• Posted

I have OA in my fingers. My surgeon did give me a steroid injection once which meant I was pain free for about 6 months but he only did that once.

His recommendation, which worked for me was Voltarol gel.

The good news is that I am now pain free, but I have had my finger joints replaced.

• Posted

I too had a steroid injection in my hand but I think I was unlucky as it hurt to hell and back to have it done and the benefits were very short lived.  I was offered a further one but declined as I just couldnt face such agony again.  I do know other people who've had these injections and found good medium term pain relief from them.
    • Posted

Mine hurt like hell for 2 days, the consultant warned me that it would. It varies as to how long people get relief, if any, I felt lucky with about 6 months. I think 2 days of pain for 6 months of relief was worth it.
    • Posted

Hi I have really bad OA of the hands ( heberdens nodules)at the end of the fingers . They hurt and click all the time. I m only 39 and I don't know if  a doctor would consider me for surgery. And I m not sure of surgery either because it seems quite big thing. Are you able to bend your fingers and pick up things?
  • Posted

Hello lisa I too have osteoarthritis and have had severe pain at night especially. My GP has now prescribed me Amitriptyline. It is a drug that used to be given frequently for depression but it's not so much now because of all the new drugs on the market. The other use is pain relief and I've gradually increased my dose to 50mgs. It's recommended you take it no later than 8pm. It has been a godsend. I sleep much better but it does relieve a lot of the pain. Amitriptyline is recommended by Arthritis UK as well.
  • Posted

I have Osteoarthritis in my knees and lower back. I have had septic arthritis from aged 11 so have suffered a long time. I now take codeine to help me sleep and it works for me. I have had amitriptyline in the past and that also works, thou i found i had to keep upping the dosage as my body got used to it to get the same effect. I also take gaberpentin which helps with nerve pain. I am currently deciding about steriod injections for my knee since seeing the consultant yesterday. I have also had my left knee replaced twice. I am still only 59. I have tried Tumeric capsules that didn't have any effect at all.

• Posted

Nights have been challenging for me prior to my two knee replacements and SINCE I had them.

My lower back, right shoulder, elbow and hip all ache due to arthritis. My knees are good now, but the other pain remains.

I get up, walk around, go CLEAN something, and read. When I get tired enough, sleep comes...for a couple hours. Then we begin again...

• Posted

Hi Lisa I have diagnosed with OA just over a year ago but suspect I have had It a lotlonger. I have it in lower back and right ankle confirmed but think it may be in my wrist also. I have had the steroid injection in ankle ,it was great for just two weeks. I too struggle with pain at night my doctor gave me Amitriptyline and Co-code mol I think it has helped me a lot . I now can sleep for around 3-4 hours it's bliss. But I do have to up the dose as my body seems to get used to it. I am thinking of having my ankle fused I see consultant on the 17 November he has advised me on the last two visits that I would benefit from having it done. Hope you find something that suits you soon good luck
  • Posted

I sleep with wrist braces on each wrist which help as well as rubbing prescribed pain cream on them. But don't stick your hand in your mouth after using that stuff lol it has lidocaine in it. Ask your doctor 4 some! Tramadol helps also!
  • Posted

Get some wrist/thumb/hand splints to wear at night ASAP.  A hand therapist or very good physio can get them for yo. Make a world of difference.   Wear them for 3 months at night-time tto immobilise and scar tissue will form between the joints.  This is very slow growing and needs time to grow.  I wore the splint on left hand for 3 months constantly day and night and no longer have an issue with that hand apart from very occasionally. Was less rigorous on right hand, and this gives me a bit of gip.   I then wondered what woudl happen if i bound my finger nodules on my index finger to immobilise it so i did (i dont know if this is wise or not, i just did it as immobilisation made wrist and thumb so much better). So i strapped indexfinger to next finger for 2 months and lo and behold the nodules gradually disappeared and is no longer obvious. I can only just feel it under the skin.  6 months ago pain was 6/10 now 1/10 and most days none at all. I just wear the splints at nighttime now. I have hard ones from therapist and soft ones from local A&E. Soft ones more comfy but hard ones seemed to work bettr to start with.   Good luck. They make a world of difference - dont really know why but the pain goes with their use.   Worts pain is on computer so i tend to wear them when typing. 
  • Posted

Lisa, I too have recently been diagnosed with OA of thumbs & wrists. God, if i happen to slightly bang my wrist the pain is terrible!  I agree with other posts about wrist splints they help a bit at night. Also Amitriptyline​ (taken at 8'ish before bed) and co-dydramol . I am trying Capsaicin cream from the docs, not sure about it though. But i will try anything to help ease the pain. Hope you find something that hepls you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.