Osteoarthritis medication

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello. mum 63 diagonised with osteoarthritis. which is the best suppliment and do they reaaly work. which is the best way to manage it. I need to start in the right direction.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

They say supplements don't work if you read some medical documents. 
  • Posted

Hi Joshua

years ago I was taking glucosamine with condritin ( think spelt wrong) and with fish oil, I didn't think they were doing anything so stopped taking them. Some time later 6 months or more my fingers started to get disfigured and misshapen - did the gluc etc really help? Or would my hands have changed anyway?. I believe in the power of the mind - if you think something is helping you you are being positive. Negativity will get you no where. Hope this has helped and not confused you too much

• Posted

I have never found supplements to be of any use. I have read recently that Tumeric is good thou i haven't tried them as yet. Moderate exercise and keeping active is best along with medications.

• Posted

Hi Joshua,

My name is Sandra. I am also 63. I have tried various treatments for my osteoarthritis but nothing seemed to work real good. I have had it very bad for about 5 years now and I discovered a treatment that is really workng for me at last. My fingers and hands used to get very swollen and since I started this treatment they are much better. It is New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel. they come in 500mg capsules and I take 3 capsules a day. I can obtain them through my local discount chemist shop. I am from Australia so I do not know if you can get them depending where you live. You might be able to get them online.

Hoping this will help you. Bye, Sandra    

• Posted

I have had osteoarthiritis for many years now, I too tried the glucosamine but not sure it did anything so stopped. The problem with the condition is that the cartilage wears away and at the moment we need something to create it. Exercise is important because it stops the joint seizing. I have only found one treatment that gives me movement and pain free and that is joint replacement.
  • Posted

Hi - I had a bone fusion in my neck last year because of OA.   After the operation, the surgeon advised me to try a glucosamine/chondroitin combination.  He said these tablets worked for 50% of his patients.   I am still taking them because they do seem to be helping me, mind you they are not cheap if you buy the ones with the higher dosage, which is what he advised !!
  • Posted

Hi Joshua. Sorry to hear of your mum's problems. I too have OA, in one ankle due to an injury and in both thumbs.  There are a bewildering array of supplements out there and many more people who say they've found the 'miracle cure'.  Fact - there IS no miracle cure but some things work for some people.  The one at the top of the list is glucosamine - with or without chondroitin.  I personally found this had nil effect so I stopped bothering with it.  Others will tell you its the answer to all ills, jury is out so it may be worth a try but don't hold your breath.  Ginger is a natural remedy that often has benefits.  Ginger is known to have anti inflammatory benefits, and as OA is an inflammatory condition, it does help in some cases.  You can buy ginger extract or ginger tea preparations in health food stores.  Eating raw ginger would also work but you'd have to eat so much to get the concentrated effect from a supplement its probably not worth trying.  Curcumin, which is present in small quantities (around 5%) in turmeric is also a possibility.  Again buy curcumin supplement - there's no way you'd get enough of it just from eating more of the spice.  Above all, remember - pharmaceutical companies are out to make money and their marketing blurb only has to be 'legal' - the words 'may help....' is often present.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!  Over the counter (OTC) meds are by their very nature practically useless as to get licensed they have to limit the active ingredients to such a degree as to be hardly worth the effort (or the cost!).  It's very easy to throw money and hope at the next new idea (and basically throw it down the drain).  Stick with the known ingredients and known remedies, along with prescribed medication from the doctor.  Just because something is expensive doesnt necessarily mean it works - I've probably tried them all and the only place they had an effect was on the wallet!  Find a good high street herbalist - go visit them and discuss options.  They won't try to sell you something just because it's expensive, a good one will listen and recommend on personal circumstances - which is why it's best to find one in a shop rather than rely on gobble-de-gook advertising online.  good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Joshua

Has you mum been diagnosed with arthritis by a GP or a consultant?

What was their advice?

Sometimes physio works, sometimes acupuncture {NHS} works. There are all sorts of reports about supplements.....some say thy work others dont. We are all different.    I thinksome medical advise would be the best place to start

Where are you?   UK?

Eileen   UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.