Osteoarthritis natural remedy recommendations required please

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi. Has anyone used any healthcare supplements that have helped with Osteoarthritis pain relief?  I would much appreciate any replies. 

Regards 

Martin 

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glucosamine sulphate, capsules NOT tablets.  1000 mg morning and night with your meal.  Long term support for cartilage. 

Avoid NSAIDS including aspirin for arthrits pain relief.  Use sparingly for painkiller for headache or other issues.  NSAIDs interfere with cartilage regeneration. 

Maintain  range of motion as much as possible.  If you have OA in spine get exercises from physiotherapist to strengthen muscles which support the spine.

I've followed this protocol for decades and  have seen little progression of OA over the years, since diagnosed over thirty years ago.  Need no medication for it.  

All the best! 

• Posted

Hi Anhaga. Thank you for your recommendations. Is their a reason you use Glucosamine capsules instead of tablets. I’ve just started on the tablet version. I have also just started specific exercises after seeing the physiotherapist on Friday. I keep active as much as possible through yoga and step aerobics but to be honest I don’t feel I’m benefiting from it. 
    • Posted

Two reasons.  i find the tablets hard to swall, they are large with slightly rough edges so impossible to swallow (and I do not usually have trouble swallowing pills).  And there have been a couple of people who have stopped taking glucosamine because they found they got indigestion or stomach pain.  And I remembered that the tablets did seem harder to digest once I got them down.  Never any trouble with capsules.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga. Ok thanks. I will take that into account. 
  • Posted

Just to clarify, all NSAIDs should be used sparingly, including aspirin.
  • Posted

Agree about restricting anti inflamm meds - they dont help with OA.  Capsaicin cream no longer available in the UK unfortunately, I bought some in the USA and brought it home with me but cant find a source for it OTC here, maybe doctor will prescribe it.  Would recommend ginger - fresh not powdered or stem ginger.   Mince it up and either steep it in boiling water and drink like tea (you can add lemon and honey if you want) or mix it with hand cream or body lotion and rub into the joint, cover and leave on for a few hours before washing off - works wonders for my thumb joints.  I tried curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) but the good stuff was very expensive and I really didnt notice any difference to be honest so I stopped buying it.  I also gave up on glucosamine with chondroitin as again its expensive to buy the high dosage capsules and negligible effect for me personally.  I've just been recommended to try bromelain (an enzyme in pineapple) which apparently is a good anti inflammatory - not started it yet so cant comment until i've tried it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.