Osteoarthritis & no pain meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've got osteoarthritis in my neck, low back, hip & pelvis. I'm only 58 but on disability due to this & other medical issues. There are 2 large hospitals in my city, & Medicare has pressured both to refrain from treating pain with long term opiods. I've been on hydrocodone for 10 years but now am denied the medicine.

What do I do about the intense pain? I don't have insurance other than Medicare. Steroid injections would require an outpatient treatment as imaging would be needed since my spine has crumbled. I cant pay the 20% due after Medicare's pay to the hospital.

I do stretching, & walk when I can. Have a heating pad on my back for hours each day. What else can I do? I was already diagnosed with acute depression & feel so hopeless!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi kaka I really feel for you I have it in my hands neck and arms I've also had a tkr because of it as it was bone to bone have you tried ice pack on your back no one

knows the pain as it is a invisible illness. Take care. Hopefully someone can help you.xxx

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your pain and now not being able to take the opiod you had been on for  osteo.

The opiod crisis has unfortunately caused doctors and ins. companies to be cautious and those with pain suffer

Have you tried tramadol (ultram).   It is not a narcotic but a strong pain medication.   Some  meds for depression can also help with pain.    Sometimes heat alternating with ice pack can bring relief.  I know it doesnt last long but it can give some relief .      I wish  you the best---keep fighting for pain management

• Posted

Your doctor should have given you a proper method to wean off the opioid so that other medications would have a chance of being able to fill the gap.  I think it's been shown that opioids aren't really any better than other pain medications but unfortunately once a person has taken them for a period of time a reliance develops, I won't go so far as to say addiction, but it is unkind, to say the least, to expect a patient to stop very quickly without help.  This is even worse in a situation, I assume you are in the US, where alternative therapies are too expensive.  

If you have issues with a weakened spine is there any way you can get physiotherapy?  If you can find a physiotherapist who offers low level light therapy that could be helpful to you.  Look up light therapy kahn Toronto to learn more.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.