Osteoarthritis of the ankle

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've learned to live with OA of the hips and knees, but I've recently been diagnosed with OA of the ankle.   My doctor offered me more painkillers, that was all.   It's very painful because it's my right ankle, and driving really hurts.  I'm worried about this, has anybody else out there had this, and dealt with it successfully?   Thanks, Madeleine.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. Since I've weaned from Prednisone I ache a lot but nothing I can't live with I suppose.  I'm AMAZED you found someone to give you something for pain.  My rheumatologist refuses to give pain meds. Hopefully this will pass for you but what medications are you on?

• Posted

I have severe OA in one ankle as a result of a serious accident a few years back which destroyed the cartilage so I'm 'bone on bone'.  I've tried a whole range of things to try to reduce the pain and inflammation.  Best results for me so far have been fresh ginger (I mince it and mix it with body lotion or hand cream and rub it into the joint), I also take bromelain (its a supplement derived from pineapple and its good for reducing inflammation).  Mine is my right ankle too, so I understand about driving.  If I know I have to drive any distance, I take anti inflammatories (eg ibuprofen, naproxen, voltarol, etc) a couple of hours beforehand and it staves off the worst of it.  I don't find traditional pain meds like paracetamol etc., do a great deal to be honest, as for me its the inflammation flare up that causes the problem.  Resting with the leg elevated whenever you can helps a lot.  Bottom line, try anything suggested and see if one of them works.  It's all a question of being knowledgeable about what sets it off and trying to avoid or at least prepare for it.  My dorsaflexion is badly affected and I find if I massage the ankle/foot and dorsaflex at the same time, it relieves a lot of the discomfort.  My PT told me this would help.

• Posted

I know physiotherapy has helped me with the fairly severe OA I have in various parts of my spine, including my neck, mainly by strengthening supporting muscles.  I wonder if something like that could help?  It wouldn't be instant but it might over time make things much better for you.

• Posted

I agree with Loxie, it's just a matter 'of try and see'.  If you already have OA in hips and knees and you've "learned to live with it" you're half way there.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, 

Sorry about your discomfort it's a real pain isn't it.

i have OA in left knee and ankle and hips.  The ankle and knee cause me the most problems.

Being  a senior I am trying to live with it which is not easy. I can only take low doses of medication which doesn't help.

• Posted

Hi Madeleine94884 and others - your ankle OA sounds terribly impacting on daily life. Isn't surgery an option? https://www.arthritis-health.com/types/osteoarthritis/ankle-arthritis-surgery

• Posted

The only surgery option I've been offered is to fuse the ankle joint.  Whilst this may remove the pain, it would leave the joint with no flex, thus restricting movement and causing an affected gait.  The junior doctor I saw was almost forcing me to sign the consent form to have it done but the surgeon I saw at the next appointment said he didn't recommend it in my case as it would cause stress on both the knee and hip joints of that leg and also on the other (good) leg due to the limp I would have.  I decided the pain was bearable but being gimpy wasn't smile

• Posted

I forgot to mention yesterday that I wear support socks if I go out of the house.  At night I use tubular bandages on both knees and ankles - they are not so restricting as supports so it is easier to be comfortable in bed.
  • Posted

Hi - as always there are good suggestions in this forum.   I'm worried about a long drive I have to do Monday (my elderly mother is very sick, can't put it off) but I'm going to physio tomorrow, so am really hoping that it helps.

I'm taking co-codamol for pain, but to be honest I've taken these for many years and they don't always work.

Thanks for all your thoughts, Madeleine.

• Posted

I just thought of another tip for driving.  I realised that the angle at which my foot was on the accelerator had a bit to do with how much pain I experienced.  I got a very thick rubber car mat for the drivers side which lessens the acute dorsaflex angle a little, it helped.  A support bandage is a good idea too, one of those compression types.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.