Osteoarthritis on both hips with cysts

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had pain on and off on my right hip after childbirth over 3 years ago but this week I finally did an x ray privately and saw a consultant and he told me I actually have arthritis grade 2 in both hips with many cysts. Never heard about cysts on the bones before, he explained is first signs of osteoarthritis. I’m 42

Is it common to have this grade of arthritis so young and how long it will take to get worse grade ? 3,5,10 years? And the cysts can they grow and cause more pain? Anoyone has this? Do you needed surgery to removed them? I haven’t had any past injuries, the condition runs on my mum’s side. Bad luck 😢Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Re cysts if you search "Subchondral cysts (geodes)" it will throw some light on the subject.  I had one in kee and one iin hip joint - they were then called spurs and I got the impression from info. given that they were growing to try to push the joint apart  but in doing so they themselves were bone on bone. Mine grew 1cm in about 5 years but they were also affecting the quality of the bone in the leg below the knee one. In thie case a piece of good bone was put in place and my  own bone grew around it ( I was then aged 72)  This my very basic and amateur experience  and I hope it does not worry you so much as to give you things to ask about.

• Posted

HI what do you mean “ a piece of good bone was put in place and my own bone grew around it” ? You mean an artificial joint replacement?
    • Posted

Sorry to be vague. I had a half knee replacement  to that side of the knee. When the lower part of the leg was shaped ot take the replacement metal some bone was removed. A piece of this was used to replace the bone that was deteriotating and then my body responded by growing more bone around it over the coming weeks I don't think I k new about it until my check up.

• Posted

Hi every one im Saieda i have severe Osteo Ahritis on  my Shoulder i have been to 4 doctors all of them say a shoulder replacement .. im so apprehensive but i cannot take thepain no meds are helping pls can some one advice m who had a dhoulder replacement thank you
  • Posted

Hi Leni. Just wanted to say hi and give you some support as I too have been just diagnose with knee osteoarthritis in my knees. I am only 37 and do not have any children. My first thought was "no way, I am too young".  And yes this runs in my family too.. 😥

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.