Osteoarthritis Thigh Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had Osteoarthritis in both hips for three years. I was on Meloxicam, but it made my blood pressure go up. My hips are painful but I can live with it. The problem I have recently is thigh pain at night. During the day my thighs are fine, but once I lie down my thighs ache. It is so bad that I have a horrible time sleeping. Has anyone else experienced this ?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i had awful thigh pain for about a year before my hip replacement.

the pain went right down the front of my thigh and ached like hell all night. i tried hot and cold compresses which kind of helped, stretching, rubbing it then i had no choice but to go for the operation at that point. but i had a 1 year old baby to look after and needed the operation fast to look after my baby.

so to answer your question yes i have experienced it so you are normal hehe. xx

• Posted

This could just be par for the course. However I also get thigh pain in both legs even kn my hip replacement side. This always turns out to be tronchanteric bursitis for which the treatment is rest and anti-inflammatories. It's a fairly easy diagnosis for a GP. I hope you don't have this but it is worth getting it checked. Good luck

• Posted

Never heard of meloxicam before but internet says it's a type of nsaid. You need to know that nsaids can interfere with cartilage renewal so should not be taken regularly by people with OA. I know, catch-22. 😦

• Posted

debbie, when describing osteo of the thigh are you talking about osteo of the hip joint. thigh pain is common when osteo has effected the hip joint. try to look up osteo in hip and hip replacement to learn as much as you can to understand this disease. osteo is a progressive disease and joint replacement is an alternative. both my hips have been replaced due to osteoarthritis.

have you seen a hip orthopedic surgeon. its important to have xrays to access the damage to the joint by osteo. in many cases to have hip joint replacement surgery its important to have good bone structure left. dont wait until the bone is compromised or the femoral vains are damaged can impede good circulation. thr is a option to eliminate pain and regain mobility.

good luck

• Posted

i agree you i wanted to enjoy life now so i got it done at age 32 just last year! so do what feels right for you as well!

• Posted

I have been to a hip ortho surgeon. Xrays show some damage to both hips but not bad for my age (71). He says I may never need surgery. The thigh pain is new and right now is the hardest part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.