Osteomalacia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with Osteomalacia I have been suffering with several different issues over the past year and a half, I have had surgery on my femur for a fracture. My ankle is fractured and other foot has 3 broken bones.

This has been so painful, I'm on crutches and have been for over a year. Finally got into see an Endocrinologist, who finally diagnosed me.

I just want to know if anyone has suffered with this.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Tina, this is new to me, but I just searched on it. I see you've posted this in the nutrition group. Do you think it was related to insufficient vitamin D?

While you can try to get more vitamin D from food, from fortified foods, and from sunlight, just taking vitamin D supplements is a far faster and more convenient way, with the dosage much more easily measured and controlled.

• Posted

Osteomalacia virtually disappeared in UK at the end of the last century but seems to have come back again. Possibly because people spend so much more time indoors. They reckon 75% of the population suffer from low vit D and everyone is encouraged to take it during the winter. Has your doctor prescribed you a high vit D dose, have you had a vitamin D blood test?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.