Osteopenia

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was told at the age of 20 I had osteopenia and had a dexa scan done. I'm only 23 and I have been on Adcal calcium tablets ever since and will be for the foreseeable. I am in daily discomfort and pain but don't want to hassle doctors... Just assuming they have done all they can. Feeling so frustrated with it sad I have had no follow up scans, appointments or anything. Feel a bit left in the dark as I struggle with exercise after being told I'm not allowed to do alot but have had no help in finding out what my next steps are....

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have osteoprosis at 44 with a T score of -3.9 in the lumbar spine, generally there is no pain with osteoporosis unless you have fractures or it has transpired a kyphosis of the spine and the nerves have pressure, it is very important that you are proactive with follow up appts and having another bone scan to see if there has been changes, preferably you should use the same machine that took your last scan to insure accuracy in the results, you are the most important role in your healthcare, write down questions, symptoms as they occur and discuss with your provider, and with your age you should ask to see an endocrinologist, they specialize in treatment of this disease and can determine if hormonal imbalances could be the cause...
    • Posted

Hi Paul 

Have you ever had a frctuer and are you on any meds?

• Posted

They may well not do too much for osteopenia but you do need some advice and help.  There is the osteoporosis society but better to talk to yr doctor and get a referral.  You need to look up vitamin D and Vitamin K2.  You should be in pain unless you have a fracture. Where is the pain?  Exercise is essential but one has to be careful.  Walking good but of course all depends on the pain. Have you had your hormone levels checked? Please see someone and get referred. You are very young to be dealing with this all on your own. 
    • Posted

I had my hormone levels checked when it was first discovered and was told that I may not be able to have children down the the circumstance of it coming about. But nothing has ever been followed up and I'm starting the next stage of my life now and a family is very much on the cards for my partner so it is all playing on my mind now. I have been told no high impact exercises what so ever but need to build strength... I can only walk around 40 mins before becoming uncomfortable at my lower back which is where it's located..
    • Posted

VitaminK2 very important and there are other nutrients that will help you.  Add tai chi and nordic walking to give you safe exercise to improve bone density.  Good luck! 
    • Posted

I had osteopenia before the osteoporosis but never had any pain until I fractured a vertebrae.  I think you need advice, as can't understand why you can't have children.  Obviously a growing foetus would take a lot of your calcium and vit D but you would just need to be monitored carefully and you might need a Caesarian rather than natural delivery to protect your bones.   I can't emphasise enough that you need expert advice it's too important not to get it.
    • Posted

The children this was told to me because of the way Iv ended up this this. I had the contraceptive Implant so I never had a period for 4 years so my body naturally went into menopause but now back on a regular cycle I am assuming that everything is back to how it should when it comes to having kids but won't know for certain until I start trying. I will definitely go and seek advice as I am worried about it all. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
    • Posted

Not a problem. There are far worse things to have, you know. I know it's sad for you to have but Its all a case of management and acceptance. No, you probably shouldn't go skiing in case you fall on hard snow and break something but you go sailing, rock climbing, all sorts of other things and well babies are wonderful but that is in the lap of the gods for everyone. Be positive, you will be fine, good luck
    • Posted

Osteopenia can defo cause pain. Everyone is different. Maybe if it came on very slowly but for it was quite quickly due to an illness n medication n I could so notice the difference. I was never even aware of my bones b4 this but after could defo feel it in upper ribs n back. It's not nice . I near had nervous breakdown over it but if your young you can reverse it coz your bones r still growing n rebuilding up to 35. After this they start to decrease. Iv read stories of women in 50s improved bones so you defo can coz your only in 20s. But some weights calcium supplements walking etc n get to it let your body do the rest. There's defo hope if in 20s. I'm 32 so only have like 2 good yrs n I can't even exercise now coz iv ongoing infection in my lung n bugs on top I'm not well at all. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm 33yrs and never thought of my bones having problems until about 4 weeks ago. I seriously broke my ankle (like both bones and foot facing wrong way etc). When they xrayed it to see the break I was told I would need to see my local Dr. I had surgery on my ankle to erect scaffolding to strengthen and am currently just starting to walk around house with my crutches. Dr's today said that I will need blood test and dexa scan to check bone density as I have thin and weak looking bones. I've now been put on calcium chew things and vitamin d tabs and been told to increase calcium in my diet. I can't really do any walking or exercise for my legs due to my cast atm. But from what I've read in other posts, I'm defo going to look up vitamin k2 to help. Xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear that let us know what your dexa scan results are. I'd be interested to know. Mine is -1.4. It's really worrying. I'm only 32 n havnt even had kids yet. A medication I was on wasted my leg muscles and caused bone loss too. My right leg now is like half an inch lower and I feel lower. My ribs feel smaller n more compressed. I wanna get xay of b4 n after the illness where I took meds to see if ribs did shrink n how much. Nothing I can do now but iv another illness to get over n can't exercise otherwise I'd be straight on it. I'm on calcium supplements though but had to ease off recently Coz I'm very low on potassium n had to prioritize that. Have to take all with food so only so many supplements I can take. Sigh! Not enough time.

• Posted

I'm 25 and, like you was diagnosed with osteopenia aged 20 which became full blown osteoporosis last year. It is gutting having to be so careful so young. I don't know about the pain you are in - low bone density in itself shouldn't cause pain - only the fractures it causes. If there is an underlying cause of your osteopenia (for me it was severe mulnutrition and anorexia) then these may be causing your pain (eg. due to muscle weakness, easier sprains and fatigue etc.) rather than the osteopenia itself. Let me know if you get any further advice. I have only been given vitamin D (tested low) and calcium, as apparently the usual treatments are not shown to be effective for our age group. I would advise walking extra where possible (like park further away from work/shops - provided it isn't icy!) and maybe yoga or other low impact risk weight baring exercise. Best of luck with it all, and especially with having children - I have ths problem too and know how saddening and frustrating it can be. Remember there are always other options.
    • Posted

Please add Vitamian K2 (not K1 which you'll be getting in your diet anyway) to your supplements.  There is a fair amount of info about it on the internet.  It's what helps calcium get into the bones where it belongs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.