Osteopenia of the spine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm on steroids and an immune suppressant and was prescribed Alendronic Acid (and calcium/D) to protect the bones. But I need a lot of dental work and was worried about the side effects so I only took 5 x weekly doses and asked for a dexa scan. The scan showed osteopenia in the spine. Still don't want to take Alendronic Acid though. I've been getting a bit of lower back pain and hope it's not a fracture - though I swear I can hear my bones scrunch if I turn a certain way! I wondered - would wearing a corset/brace help protect my back?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Wearing a corset is likely to cause your muscles to become weaker, whereas what you want is to strengthen muscles which support the spine. There are some techniques to protect the spine, such as a way to crouch without straining your knees and not bending your spine forward. Avoid twisting your body when standing, and for activities like unloading groceries try putting bags on a chair so they are at a comfortable height to unload. A physiotherapist can give you good advice and targeted exercises but you can find info for safe exercises with osteoporosis on line.

Look up healthunlocked (all one word) my osteoporosis journey for my account. I will test by adding link below to see if it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.