Osteophytes lipping seen at anteroinferior aspect of C5 vertebrae, what should i do

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I am suffering from Cervical Spondolysis since last June-14. My Symptoms are as below. 

1.Shortness of breath some time

2.Fast heart rate some time.

3. Anxiety

4. Pain/Heavyness in Neck and collar bone. However there is no stiffness, am able to move neck during pain even.

5. Swalloing issue some time having dinner.

I am doing regualar neck n spine exercise however situation is flip flop. Please guide what should i do. My routine life has got very much upset. Need experts advise here.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi rajeev,

Osteophytes pushing into the spinal cord at c5 can be very painful and debilitating, I should know, I have suffered with this condition at levels c4,5,6 and 7 since 2011. Having said that cs is a medical curse in many ways as it shows symptoms of various multiple problems in many different ways. Some people have no pain, others minor discomfort and for myself and many others absolute constant grinding pain,24/7, like toothache and earache together wearing you down completely. Most of the symptoms you mention could be linked to the anxiety part of having c/s and its ability to interfere in our daily lives, however if you are suffering constant pain then that ,in my own humble opinion, should be sorted first. Otherwise you will very quickly become physically and mentally exhausted and unable to cope, even to the point of succumbing to depression, then you will be in a really bad place .

• Posted

Hi Mike:

Thanks for quick response.

Actucally i had medicine for 4 month (i.e. Gabapentin 100 MG *2 tabs a day) however lot of people suggested me its not safe in young age, so now am trying to manage with Yoga. However just situation some time flip flop, as i works for IT Industry and my sitting hours are long, when some time i exhaust my self or go on long drives, then situation becomes bad. Thus a though to put my problem here on patient info to get more info here. Also just wanted to check, do you have some home redemdies and also can you please guide me on sleeping postions. As of now am not taking any pillow while sleeping . Please guide.

• Posted

Hi Rajeev

Sometimes taking medicines can challenge our belief in ourselves to cope with pain. However I am 65 and began this journey at 61 and am taking 600mgs Gabapentin x 3 each day, along with 500mgs Naproxen x 2 each day and 10 microns morphine pain patch 24/7. This particular pain control path took about 18 months to organise before I was relatively pain free, but I know that the cause of the pain is very much still with me. I found that a memory foam pillow to rest my head just below the neck, with a pillow placed either side of my head to stop movement, did work but meant that I now sleep constantly on my back, albeit pain freeish.

Good luck with home remedies and yoga etc. give me medication any day, oh to be older non wiser but pain free!!!

• Posted

Hi Mike.

I've always found the memory foam pillows to be too resistant.....they push my head up,  and the neck feels strained.   Don't know if you've ever tried a Cervical Ortho Pillow  (  soft pillow with raised rim all around outside,  and hollow inside the rim except for a raised area at centre.  No need for the extra pillows to stop head from rolling,  and allows for sleeping sideways too.  I found it useful for lessening morning headaches when needed.

• Posted

Hi Gerry:

Thank for info.

Just wondering, do you know any specific exercise to manage ostephytes lipping cervical c5 pain management? if yes request you to please share with me. I recently completed 32, suffering from this past june14.

• Posted

Hi Rajeev(and Jerry),

Seems that your earlier response to me was edited out, hope I havn't upset you with my responses or sense of humour.

I have not tried the pillow Jerry suggested, may look into it if sleepless nights return. I must admit to being very wary regards any physical activities regardiing spinal cord possibly becoming further agitated. Originally when I was reffered to a physio I was lucky she used the Bowen method, if full manipulation was used she could have parylised me, as it was while pressing pressure points between my toes there was a very painful reaction and the physio looked at me and said "you have a Problem with your cervical spine", and she refused to use any physical manipulation.

A couple of days ago while sat drinking a coffee, I turned to my right while swallowing and looking up. Sudden there was a terrible feeling in my head, like I had been punched, stunned, without the pain of the punch, very weird feeling and lasted about five minutes before going away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.