osteoporosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

My mum has osteoporosis in her spine. she doesnt have pain but her spine is curved and sticks out. Is there any type of padding she can purchase to protect it. Sometimes she knocks it when she sits on a chair especialy if its a hard chair.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pam what came to mind was a gillet?  I know she wouldn't want it in the summer, but this time of year the quilting might offer protection and keep her warm at the same time?
    • Posted

What an excellent idea. I didnt think of that. Ive looked online and there are some lovely ones. Thank you for the reply. Its a great help
  • Posted

Hello Pam,

My mother also has osteoporosis and a very curved spine.  I don't know about any padding available, at this stage it is even difficult to get her a chair that is confortable for her!  They should develop one with pads on either side of the spine and a hole for the spine to sink into.  I know I'm not much help.... but good luck in your search.

• Posted

I've been thinking about this.  Can I suggest that you contact a local quilting group.  There are lots of ladies interested in quilting these days and it wouldn't be that difficult to make a lightweight 'waistcoat' with quilted padding over the necessary areas?  If you paid for the materials, I'd have thought someone could do it?  Or, if it's just a chair, can you buy a cushion and sew on ties at the top corners to fix it to the chair she normally uses?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.