Osteoporosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Serenegative R.A.  2 years ago and after trying a few medications I am at present on Benepali injections weekly plus Steroid injections which were 3 monthly and my Reaumy Dr is trying to reduce to 6 monthly. He sent me for a bone density scan and have just been told I have Osteoporosis. So prescribed yet more drugs to help. I wondered how everyone else on here who has the same condition does exercise, as some days I can hardly walk, my feet are so painful, plus other joints. I have a good diet and not over weight. Worry about falling now. Wondered if the Steroids have caused this. Any advice would be gratefully received. Feeling a bit annoyed with myself for yet another problem when the injections have really helped. Thanks for listening to me moaning.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda, you're right about the steroids, after having steroid treatment I ended up having to have 4 joint replacements, hips and knees, ankles have gone now but not enough bone left for replacements so the only option is having them fused with no movement, the surgeon told me steroids turn your bones to soap, what an excellent treatment for joint problems I don't think, stay away from methotrexate also if possible, it gave me fibrosis of the lung and can cause liver and kidney problems, I sometimes think I would have been better without all these medications, I've been looking into stem cell therapy which looks very promising, I'm on Embrel which is the only drug that has helped me but everyone responds differently to different drugs, you have every right to have a moan, hope you find something that helps you xx

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Beverley, sorry to hear about your health problems. I was on Methotrexate, but couldn’t tolerate it. Benepali is the new Embrel replacement. Difficult because Steroids really help, but I will discuss it next time I’m at the clinic.  Take care of yourself and thanks again. 
  • Posted

Such a pity the side affects of steroids are so bad as they work really well don't they? They did change me from Embrel to Benepali but it didn't suit me, took a while to persuade them to let me back on Embrel, supposed to be the same drug just a different company, the side effects of the Benepali have all gone now that I've changed back. I hope you find something that works. Have you tried turmeric tablets, I found them as good as an anti inflammatory, might be worth a try. Good luck xx

• Posted

I get side effects with the injections Beverley, but after Methotrexate effects, they are a lot better.  Yes you are right, Steroids help such a lot.  I haven’t tried Turmeric Tabs but may give them a go. Having to take to 2 new lots of medication for the Osteoporosis, so taking quite a few things now. Anything natural I’m happy to try. Thanks Beverley. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.