Osteoporosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a dexta scan 2 yrs before i broke my arm falling on it on a huge sheet of black ice.I had no sign of osteopena or osteoporosis.When my arm was fixed i had another scan initiated by the fracture clinic.diagnosed osteoporosis.In that 18 months 2 years i started taking Ranitadine for acid reflux.On googleing it said yes it would give you osteoporosis as you need acid in your tummy to absorbe calcium.Could'nt take the tablets because of digestion problem so was advised to have Prolia injection every 6 months .Had my second injection last Tuesday .Has anyone caught every bug going ,Ihad no colds or viruses for 4 yrs prior to the first injection but i have had something every month for the last 6 months.Help what can i do ,reading about Prolia scares me cant stop without problems apparently.Anyone else had similar

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You can check your calcium levels in your blood tests.

Prolia is not safe to take for long. It has been proven to cause rebound fractures.

Perhaps stop before you have that issue.

Maybe consider working with your health issues and making a natural plan to address your osteoporosis.

There is lots you can do. Check your magnesium and vitamin D levels along with calcium in your blood tests. Vitamin K 2 puts the calcium onto the bones.

A good diet and exercise also helps. Foods like yoghurt, bony broth, fruit and vegetables also help your bones.

There is a lot of help and support for this.

• Posted

Fractures occur after discontinuing Prolia because of rebound osteoporosis - which is unrelated to the original diagnosis. At present the recommendation is to continue taking Prolia indefinitely once started, or switching to a different OP med to prevent the rebound osteoporosis. I don't know what happens after longterm use of Prolia but we do know that the bisphosphonates like alendronic acid can lead to "atypical" fractures owing to the bones becoming more brittle with prolonged use of the drug.

I looked it up and it seems it's safe to stop Prolia after one dose, but after the second dose there needs to be some back up plan to deal with possible rebound osteoporosis if Prolia is stopped.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I had my second injection last week sadly .I have a healthy diet have too much vitamin D apparently so dont need that, am taking calcium my T score was -2.6 .Will ask for another scan and take magnesium and vit K2 .Cannot take the tablets so really stuck.Talking to my liason women tomorrow.

• Posted

Thank you for this ..I am speaking to my liason support at the fracture clinic tomorrow

• Posted

My sister took one dose against my advice and could not wait for the six months to be up. She had taken AA before that which I also said don't lol which she regretted too.

Her results are not even as bad as mine. She takes nothing now.

She has swallowing problems and was a bad idea and something in her neck so she never have been prescribed AA anyway.

I thought two doses of prolia was not too bad though and one could come safely off it. I know both stay in your system for a long time.

More and more information is coming out against these drugs. People need to think long and hard before starting. They have the right to take the risk if they believe it is worth it. I would not, however!

• Posted

-2.6 is not too bad actually. I would be happy with that. I would not even consider taking any drugs with that result. If you are small it is even better. Some of us don't start from 30 year old bones so we are not going to show a positive result with a score for osteopenia or osteoporosis.

You need to realise that that is not bad enough for drugs especially ones like this.

• Posted

I had looked it up because the question was asked somewhere, I don't think on this forum, a few weeks ago. It seemed authoritative although I forgot to bookmark the site.

• Posted

I would probably come off it though! Never starting even better!

• Posted

But with a bridging medication for however long it would be needed? That I don't know the answer to. Maybe it's only a few months, however long it takes for denosumab to be out of the system?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.