Osteoporosis Advise

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello, I am a 44 yr old male and was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2014 on a severe level, my T score for the lumbar was -4.0 Femoral neck was -2.9 and my hip was -2.7, I was taking alendronate sodium for 2 years with very little results and I was recently diagnosed with Barrets Esophagus so I cant take Alendronate no more, they switched me to injectable forteo which Im waiting for insurance to approve because the cost is outrageous.. I have had a total of 4 compression fractures in 2 yrs the T9, T4, T3 and T5, I feel so miserable and depressed its unbelievablt to have these problems at my age, I am working but I am in pain everyday and I worry about my family and their stress, sometimes I feel as though it would be easier to end myself and my family would have the survival benefits to manage better, I feel as though my issues are a hindrance, can anyone please give me any insight on any causes that could give this to me, my Endroconologist is testing now for multiple myeloma and it really scares me.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well it turns out that my Endroconologist contacted me this morning to advise me that I have very high prolactin levels which is produced by the pituitary gland, it also causes low testosterone, this may be the culprit for osteoporosis, she is leaning towards a tumor on the pituitary gland causing the high levels of prolactin so she is sending me for a brain MRI, I really want to thank those for their words of encouragement and support during these stressful times.
    • Posted

That's great news, Paul, because I believe that pituitary problems are usually treatable. That diagnosis had crossed my mind earlier, but I assumed your endo dr. would have ruled it out before posing the possibility of multiple myeloma. (Sounds as though he failed to do so.)
  • Posted

See, there is hope. You are very young for osteoporosis so an alternative cause is quite feasible. Hang on in there. I have been on all the drugs for it and sometimes feel too much is made of it all. Some worked well, some upset me but I am here, have fab children and a wonderful grandchild (plus hubbie of course), so have to be grateful. It will be alright, you will see, be positive. Let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Paul,

That is such wonderful news!!!!!!!!! For me, they never found a cause.... Except that maybe my bones just never peaked. I'm thrilled that maybe they are already on a path of solution for you!!!!

• Posted

Hi Paul, I can completely relate to you're post, as a 37 year old male also with severe OP diagnosed recently enduring test after test which is although gruelling a positive step.

I too have had a hard time with stress and anxiety which was bottled up but you need to talk, us males go into our cave and silently worry.......please don't worry, seek out every ounce of support you can and turn the confusion into fighting spirit, be determined to conquer this terrible time, it's a lonely condition as not many our age face this but we can all help and face together

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.