Osteoporosis/alendronic acid

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was put on alendronic acid for osteoporosis but it had horrendous side effects so stopped taking it and talking to GP tomorrow but hoping I can achieve some protection from high dose Vit D3 and some calcium.  Has anyone else on here had a problem with alendronic acid and found a good SAFE alternative?

0 likes, 170 replies

170 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am hesitant to take fosamax although I have them already but not begun yet! I have never felt like this about any drug before. I take mega calcium which also includes vitamin D, magnesium, manganese and iron. I have read that K2 is also good and that is found in many foods. Another thing I have read is that gelatin is beneficial and you can get that by making soups or eating jellies containing gelatin. 

My sister takes fosamax and knows people taking it who have had no issues but for some reason I am finding it hard to give it a try.

I may at some point in the future do so.

I have also consulted an oral surgeon and gastroenterologist for checking teeth and esophageas.

So I am doing everything I can to make the taking of fosamax as safe as possible.

Maybe I will have enough confidence to start soon!

• Posted

Ah yes, have also read about K2 as well Kathleen.  You said you consulted an oral surgeon and gastroenterologist - was that through your GP or did you have to arrange that privately?
    • Posted

I already have a gastroenterologist for Crohns and the dentist referred me on to an oral surgeon. Both have been great. K2 is in a lot of foods. My GP is great too. She sent me away to research and think before taking the fosamax. 
    • Posted

Makes me feel like moving to wherever you are!  I truly can't recommend any of the GP's in my area!
    • Posted

I just looked up K2 and I've been eating Gouda cheese slices for a couple of months now and three of those I THINK gives me the amount of Vitamin K2 that I need?  That was pure fluke, but nice to think I've done something right!
    • Posted

Kathleen, I WOULD LOVE TO!!!  I chat to an Australian friend almost daily.

Having waited all day for the GP to phone yesterday to get my osteoporosis results and see how many crush fractures there were, he didn't phone.  This is the second time this has happened.  They tell you if you don't turn up for three appointments there, then you're out (not that I've EVER missed an appointment!) but are THEY out if they miss three????  I think not!

• Posted

This is ridiculous that they have made an arrangement and they have not kept it. You have a genuine case to complain about your treatment, or lack of it. I am sorry to say, those who shout the loudest are the only ones who get attention. Start rocking the boat , in a non aggressive, but very assertive manner.
    • Posted

Husband just phoned (I was SO cross that I thought he'd better phone because if you're anything bordering annoyed with the receptionist they throw you out, and worse still - when you phone them you get a message first of all to say that any failure to attend appointments is noted on your record!) and told them that this is the second time this doctor has done this and it is noted on HIS record, but they've offered me an appointment with the practice nurse this morning and I actually think she's better than GP's - she seems to be more on the ball, so I can discuss my results with her.  So at least I get the results today!  Having said all that, I don't think it will make any difference to treatment.  I can't take the AA anymore because of the side effects - the dizziness being the worst - it's not good taking something that increases a risk of falling so much, and I don't think there is anything else that I'd want to try because they all seem to have nasty risks, so I'm pretty sure now that I'm settling for 2,000 iu Vit D3, calcium to top my levels up to recommended daily dosage and knowing I'm taking recommended K2 in the gouda cheese I have every day.  But I am going to ask for regular checks on calcium and Vit D3, which they have never done.  Oh it's a bundle of fun this, isn't it!
    • Posted

It sure is but good luck for today. Remember to take a list of everything you want to ask and dont feel rushed. Its your future health you are discussing.
    • Posted

Thank you Alison and my note is all prepared - as it was yesterday, so can take it with me:-))))
    • Posted

Just got back from the GP (well, practice nurse) - after telling me my results weren't back (from 3 weeks ago) and us telling her that we'd been told they were there, and her getting snotty, she finally found them.  Interesting, to say the least.Keep in mind that they've had me on Alendronic acid for 6 weeks - there are NO crushed discs and NO osteoporosis in the spine, but osteopenia.  Osteopenia in right hip and osteoporosis BMD 0.568, T-score -2.5 Z-score -1.0 on the femoral neck on the left side.  Obviously this is really good news and has me thinking I've taken the right decision on sticking with the calcium/VitD3/K2.  She spoke to a doctor and told him I was taking calcium supplements but he's given me a prescription for Ibandronic acid once a month, but I'm just as iffy about that even if there aren't the dizziness problems.  But any thoughts are welcome, including thoughts on how crappy my GP is telling me I had osteoporosis and crushed discs in my spine!
    • Posted

I'm absolutely in despair with my GP practice now, having looked up the Ibandronic tablets that they prescribed.  They have exactly the same side effects as the AA, so the dizziness that nearly had me keeling over twice will be the same AND from what I've just read, they are good for spine fractures but not hip fractures and since they've just told me I have osteoporosis in the femur, surely that isn't the best alternative!  They refused to do a calcium test, despite me telling them I'm taking high dose calcium now.  I think I've been too nice!  I'm sticking with google now rather than the GP!  Given up on them!
    • Posted

Those levels do not seem to justify taking any medicines at this stage. I would not even be considering it. My t score for the back is -3.4 and I am not keen to take anything! You need to find another GP in another place. The place you are attending is shonky! 
    • Posted

Kathleen, you put it so well LOL!  I've not heard that word before but it's going to be one of my favourites LOL!  We've spent the afternoon googling and where the scores for the femur say osteoporosis in on my results, actually looking up the scores they might be getting close, but they are NOT osteoporosis!  I suspect levels where it's referred to as osteoporosis might vary slightly from place to place.   So I agree - no justification at all in taking the prescription (especially since spine is normal) and I shall just munch my way through gouda cheese like there's no tomorrow and take the calcium and Vit D3 and hope for the best.  My goodness this site and all of you on it have been SO helpful!  I felt totally lost and you helped me make what was the right decision for me!  Thank you all! I hope it goes well for your back and I really don't blame you for not wanting to take meds.

At the next opportunity I will tell my GP lot that they are shonky:-))))  Like it:-))))

• Posted

Thats great news. Stick with the calcium rich foods, get pleanty of sun and take supplements to maintain the bone density you have. It certainly is not necessary, with the score you have, to take any drugs. One piece of advice, move house so you can regestir with another GP pratice. All the best chris
    • Posted

Oh thank you Alison:-))))  Certainly got plenty of sun at the moment:-)))) Yes, a move might be a good idea!  Thank you again:-)))))
    • Posted

Chris, what I'd do is collect my results (or a copy of them)  from this GP practice and take them along to another GP or, better still a rheumatologist, and ask for a second opinion. I'd be quite open about it as it's the 'done thing' in situations like this.  . . . Good luck. J
    • Posted

Thanks Juno, but I haven't got access to the rhuematologist again unless I'm referred by the GP, so I suspect I'm a bit stuck on that, but if I do get referred back for anything else then I will take the results with me - the nurse or doctor weren't going to give them to me but my husband asked at the desk so we got them a bit sneakily LOL!  It was useful because where she'd just said 'you've got osteoporosis of the femur' if we hadn't got the scores we wouldn't have realised it was borderline and not actually classed as osteoporosis at that level in most scores.  She told me the scoliosis was 'normal' for people of my age - 65.  No idea if that's true or not!    Just been looking up reviews on local GP practices and it's not inspiring:-(  But even the hospital we get sent to is on 'special measures' because they are so bad!  Not much hope really.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.