Osteoporosis and bunion

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am to have bunion surgery in June, however my osteoporosis consultant has advised me to wait. She said i need to go on bone medication. She will monitor me and hopefully things will improve. Has anyone with osteoporosis had bunion surgery. I also need my 4 toes re aligned. My bunion is moderate to severe.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have not heard anyone say about bone medication but feel the medical experts have to cover themselves for all eventualities & guess it will be better for you in long run & hopefully speed up your recovery time !! Good luck with everything & remember after day 3 it's really just an inconvenience & no real pain & a couple of weeks down the line & you will be quite normal again - I was told to get back into trainers ( ok a size larger than normal) just 2 weeks after surgery!! Take care
  • Posted

Hi I have osteopenia which isn't as bad as you have , I have had my left foot done and there was no mention of having to take Adcal or  any calcium medication , ( I was diagnosed about 4 years ago but have chosen not to take medication)  good luck I hope they help you 
  • Posted

I have osteopenia and had bunion surgery on both feet three months ago.  About six weeks prior to surgery and two months after surgery my surgeon put me on vitamin D along with the calcium I was already taking.  I haven't had any problems healing and in fact have been told that I'm ahead of where I should be.  I do have Prolia injections every six months but it was not an issue with my surgeon.  My bunions were severe as well.  I'm 67 years old and lead an active life golfing, running (not for awhile though) and gardening.  
    • Posted

Hi Lynn,

Your situation and mine are quite similar.  No one said anything to me as yet (I have not scheduled the surgery as yet but plan to after the first of the year) about vit D or calcium.

Because of the severity of the bunion (moderate to severe is the way they described it), I am supposed to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks.  Was this your course of treatment?  I'm the same age as you and wonder just how bad this surgery is.  I"m freaking out a little about how to handle the no weight on that foot for 6 weeks!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.,

Jo

• Posted

Hi everyone, thanks for replies.  Lynn my consultant has advised that I start Prolia.  I am 51 and I have had a numbe rof fractures recently.  They have healed ok but longer than normal at my age.  My consultatn advised wait until I go on medication and have my bone health monitored.  Mary

• Posted

Good luck Marycm when you have your surgery.  I had hesitated for many years but am so glad I finally did it.  I know it's a long recovery but every time I look at my feet I'm amazed.  
  • Posted

Hello:

I am 60 and have ostroporosis.  I need bunion surgery.  I was wondering if the doctor put a plate in your foot when the bunion surgery was done?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.