Osteoporosis and Skydiving.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Guys

I'm 23 years old and I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at 19 after heavy steroid treatment. Since diagnosis I have never had any fractures and frequently take part in outdoor sports like mountain biking and hiking. A Skydive has always been on my bucket list and I'm looking to take part in one. It will be a tandem jump so with an instructor. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever actually done this with osteoporosis and if so any advice?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can't advise you as to whether you should do this as I do not know your full medical background, what I would advise is for you to go and see your GP who will have all your dexa scan results and your other test results, once he has looked at these he will be well enough informed to give you your answers, I personally wouldn't attempt this course of sport due to the osteoporosis effecting my hip and back, impact from this type of sport is high.

Let me know what Dr says

• Posted

I am 56 years old and just been diagnosed by the sonographer.

I am waiting my official T score but I was told I had osteoporosis.

I thought my world had ended as I have taken such care of myself in terms of diet calcium supplements etc.

So your post has given me such inspiration along with the other members of this board who have been so kind as they have written to me supportively.

I have obviously been over worrying.

Surprisingly enough I broke my leg but I've been told the osteoporosis is in my spine.

I wish you all the luck in the world to do your skydive and I wish you resilience and energy and to everybody else on this forum.

• Posted

As far as I know in a tandem jump you're just a passenger, the leader does all the dodgy stuff. I did a few jumps in my thirties but couldn't see what all the fuss was about really. Good luck anyway.

• Posted

I have just watched a tandem jump which is now in the guineas book of records, 101 year old man, looked like you land with legs out in front so hopefully no high impact on legs/hip but still think its advisable to ask the question, might be that the company your jumping with could advise as well.

Looks cool

• Posted

Hey everyone!

Thank you everyone for your replies! Leah I'm glad I've inspired you a little. If a 101 man has done the jump I'm sure I will be fine! I seen my consultant yesterday who signed my form to do the jump so I'm pretty happy! I am a risk but I'm also young so he says it's perfectly fine!

I've had a few falls off my bike since being diagnosed and as far as I can tell it's a lot harder to break a bone than people say. I have osteoporosis all over my body too!

Thanks again everyone

• Posted

Even more inspiritational.

Jump and Enjoy!!!

I have been told I won't get my results for 4 to 6 weeks

I have been researching this condition.

I broke my leg in three places and it has healed very very quickly.

I fell on my back where supposedly I have the osteoporosis but ended up breaking my leg where supposedly I don't !

There are a number of articles on the web that seem to suggest that we are too keen to cure and recognise this condition as a disease.

Sadly for a lot of people this is the case.

For me at long last I have decided to stop worrying until I do get my results.

I am hoping that they will be low enough and I will be brave enough to adjust my lifestyle rather than take medication.

I am a very slightly built lady and always have been from childhood

I did a lot of Ballet as a child.

I was always small boned and quite sickly and never had dairy in my diet as I was allergic

I have a feeling that I am somebody who I have always been prone to low bone density.

So thank you everybody on this board for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.