Osteoporosis and Total knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Four years ago I had a total knee replacement  (TKR). Unfortunately it failed and was replaced 6 months later. That also failed and left me in chronic pain. After about 18 months a second revision was completed using a totally different type of joint. That also has failed and left me in constant pain, and there is very little else that can be done. I take 120mg of morphine daily, but the pain persists. Then about 2 months ago following a minor accident when lifting something, I was diagnosed with quite severe osteoporosis

?I am now wondering if the OS may have contributed in any way to the failure of 3 TKR's, and I am getting conflicting advice from various clinicians and consultants.

Can anyone out there help ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Try posting this discussion in either the arthritis or total knee replacement discussions.  The joint replacement forums are really well used.  I have had aThr 10 weeks ago and often wonder whether having osteoporosis was a contributing factor? 

Best wishes

Hope you find an answer

• Posted

It sounds like a possibility. You are getting conflicting information/opinions means they are not sure but it does make sense.

Are you doing anything to help your osteoporosis? There is a lot of good information on here about nutrition, etc.

Do you know your tscores? It is good to find those out as that would help you understand how vulnerable your bones are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.