Osteoporosis [DEXA] result!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello - this is the first time I've  posted on this forum since my recent DEXA result that reveals I have osteoporosis.  

On looking through the medication options, there seems to  none that are safe in relation to their side effects namely, Bisphosphonates which I'm not inclined to take as I've already digestive problems.  

I did find another medication, Parathyroid hormone [PTH] that even with side effects seems less than that of Bisphosphonates so is there anyone on this forum on [PTH] - and what is your experience taking it?

Your input much appreciated!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Diana

I have just seen your post and am in a similar position not sure what to do about treatment . There is lots of info on diet , supplements, exercise , etc. I do not want to take the ALendronic acid and have been advised by a knowledgeable friend that hrt patches for a few yrs until I am 60 would be useful as I had an early menopause. Some people on this forum say hrt not the best idea. So unfortunately I have no solutions at present - these forums are so useful tho as you realise there are many women trying to figure it out . Wishing you well on your journey .

• Posted

......yes it is difficult Jane to decide what to take for the best apart from researching HRT more on its benefits and side effects because bisphosphonates do cause oesophageal complications, some serious as well as other unwanted side effects that can affect the jaw-bone with some patients.  Here's to finding the best solution - be well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.