Osteoporosis IV Drugs

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is their anyone who had a positive outcome with them and minimal side effects?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Had my first Prolia injection last Thursday so i’ll Let you know. No side effects at all yet, touch wood. 
  • Posted

Hi Fern, As far as I know there is only one treatment Osteoporosis (OP) that is administered by IV  in a doctor's surgery and that is  Aclasta (or Zoledronic acid, taken yearly). It is mostly used in patients who cannot take other common medications (Bisphosphonates) taken in tablet form which can cause stomach problems. Another medication also used for this reason but not IV, (as far as I know), is one called Bonviva. 

The area of OP drugs and associated side- effects is a huge one for discussion  and has been discussed on this forum comprehensively - so try and check this out. One thing to mention though is that ALL  medications have side effects and taking any is best done after a good discussion with your doctor re. the risk of side effects vs benefits to you from taking them.  If I remember correctly, the side-effect findings for any med. are classified as Common (one in 100) Uncommon (one in a thousand)  and Rare (one in ten thousand). 

I was diagnosed with 'severe' OP in in my spine in 2013 (age 62).  No fractures. I took Forteo (daily injection for 2 years) and am now taking an oral med. called Actonel for the next 5 years. I have had no side-effects from either.

When last measured 3 years ago, my DXA scores had improved by 11%. Another DXA due in a few months.

Apart from taking meds., I do Pilates once a week and walk daily. Still no fractures.

So Fern, if you're in a bit of a quandary re. what to do, my best advice is to find a rheumatologist, or endocrinologist or a well tuned-in GP who you trust, bring all your concerns and questions (NO question is too stupid to ask - they've heard it all before!) and have a good discussion. Then think it all over and make your decision. 

And remember if any med. doesn't suit you, you can always change to another. Hope this helps a bit.

Kind regards, J

• Posted

I've had an absolute nightmare with Aclasta and I'm never having it again. Taken to hospital middle of the night with a terrible reaction after the infusion and now a week later suffering severe bone pain in lower legs. I wish I'd never had it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.