Osteoporosis, thyroid, prolia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have been lurking and seeing some great info.  I am newly diagnosed,  hip -2.74, spine -1.47.   GP has given me a script for Prolia, but I do not want to take it, the possible side effects are not acceptable to me.

I have Hashimotos Thyroidism, diagnosed decades ago and have been going along on Thyroxine quite happily.  Suddenly my GP suggest I may be a little overmedicated and sends me for a DEXA scan.  She believes this is the reason for the bone loss.   I am due to see a endocrinologist in about 6 wks.

I am in my late 50's, female,  and until last week considered myself fit, strong and healthy.  I power walk at least 10 km daily, do weight training 3 times a week, abdominals and stretching daily.   Vit D ( i take a supplement) and Calcium levels tested as normal.

Anyone else out there like me, with thyroid disease, already exercising heaps anyway?   Any ideas what I should try instead of nasties like Prolia.     What is a suitable dose of Vit K2 to try?

Thanks so much for any help, this diagnosis really rocked my world, and not in a good way!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow, you are doing everything right. I take vitamin K2 and consider it the most important supplement as you cannot get enough in your food. I just take the one soft jelly like pill. Food is important too. Avocados, prunes, tomatoes, bananas, yoghurt, leafy greens, fish, salads, bony broth, jelly, etc. Research all the foods that support bones and good health. 

Your results are not too bad especially the spine. Try to build muscle too as that will help support your bones. 

I take magnesium as well but not as regularly as the vitamin K2 which I never miss.

Prolia should not be the first med chosen either as it is more serious than AA.

I am about to have a Dexa scan in early June and I am predicting pressure to take some of the drugs as my scores are a lot worse than yours. I have resisted for three years already.

As for the amount of K2 it does not have to be a lot and it is not harmful. Mine is 180mcg.

• Posted

Thanks kathleen, yes the diagnosis was a real shock!  GP is convinced the problem has been caused by Thyroxine, but I can't stop taking that.   I will be trying to lower my dose though, but have to make sure I don't go hypo!   Talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place! sad

I am definetely going to try the Vit K2, gotta be worth a go.

• Posted

I don’t have your thyroid issue but I have other health problems.

Magnesium or rather a lack is one thing they have found common in some people who have broken bones. Vitamin D is another one.

People are starting to ask questions now like does one condition have anything to do with another. 

More research and studies are certainly needed.

• Posted

I, like you, considered myself a very fit and healthy 62 y.o until diagnosed with PMR and GCA in June last year. Since then I have been on prednisone, a huge risk factor for osteoporosis, and tapering down from the initial 50mg now down to 7mg. Last November a sprained ankle taking a bit too long to heal saw me having my first dexa scan. The results to say the least horrified me. T score of -4 and my risk factors were huge...small build, female, over 60, on long term cortisone, early menopause, hereditary...the list  goes on.  I had obviously had it for a very long time undiagnosed before going on prednisone, to have it that badly, and I was prescribed Prolia. I bucked and argued for just treating it with supplements and healthy eating but as the dr said “well, it hasn’t worked for you so far”.  And unfortunately he was right as I have been taking calcium, magnesium, K2, fish oil, for years. Not to mention my excercise and eating plan which I’d kicked up a notch at 60,just to make sure I didn’t age “disgracfuly”. The only one I wasn’t taking was D3 but I am now. I had my first Prolia injection beginning of February and while I was originally told I’d only have to take it for 3 years my dr has now confirmed it will be for life, due to the rebound effect back to where you were before you start. It is supposedly a wonder drug while on it...but once off it you just relapse. I dont have  a dexa scan for another 2 years so I won’t know till then if it works. And I’m so scared of some of the long term side effects like jaw issues. However in my case I really didn’t have a choice, and I would rather have quality of life than be bedridden permanently from a fall.
  • Posted

If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you will find my account of what I have been doing.  An essay written fairly early in my journey and of course things evolve somewhat over time.  As for K2 dose, I'd go with the higher end of what is recommended on the supplement bottle.  In my case I take two capsules, one is recommended dose, so my total is 200 mcg per day, plus a small amount more in my calcium "bones" supplement.  I would never take Prolia as first choice as it looks like you can never safely come off it, at least not without having to replace it with another med because of a rebound effect when discontinued.  

Your scores are not bad at all.  Not great, but people, like Kathleen, have been managing with much worse.  

A gentleman used to post on here who started out with pretty bad scores but in the course of a couple of years (I think) he improved to the range where they don't recommend drugs any more, completely naturally.  

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses.  I guess my main problem is that my GP thinks the Thyroxine is the culprit and I can't stop taking that!  I have started reducing my dose but management of that without going hypo is going to be a challenge.   If I can get the thyroid sorted, hopefully the bone loss slows down and i can rebuild without using prolia. 

The K2 is a no-brainer, I am definetely getting some of that.

I will update when I have seen the endocrinologist, hopefully he can help.  Failing there is another GP I have seen before who has a strong leaning toward complimentary medicines.  She is hard for me to get to, but might be worth the effort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.