osteporosis worsened

Posted , 6 users are following.

I took  Fosamax for two years and then an endocrinologist switched me to Evista. I showed approvement later that year but now I have worsened (-3.25 hip) after 2 years on Evista. My endocronologist wants me to start Forteo or Tymlos now. I consistently walk 4-5 times per week.  I am considering halting all treatment for osteoporosis. I’ll continue to walk and add mild weight training at the gym. What supplements should I add to my diet besides the Calcium and Vitamin D I already take? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Vitamin K2.  There is good information about this on the internet.  Google authority nutrition vitamin K2 for a good overview.  Also, is your magnesium intake sufficient?
    • Posted

Thank you for tip on vitamin K12. I will add Magnesium 400 mg. I had been taking it but not consistently. 
  • Posted

Apparently Forteo is particularly good for improving spine density.  Because of a possible side effect of cancer it is not approved to be used for longer than two years.  Unlike the bisphosphonates which disable the osteoclasts (bone remodelling cells) it encourages the osteoblasts (bone building cells).

• Posted

Insurance companies are pushing Tymlos where I live. It’s the same class drug as Forteo but from what I’ve read much more expensive. I read no more than 18 months and only 2% improvement. Part of me thinks the pharmaceuticals are trying to take advantage of people with osteoporosis.
    • Posted

Oh I think there's no doubt about your intuition there.  The companies were instrumental in getting those little heel density machines (now shown to be next to useless) into doctors' offices and pharmacies, and pushing for people with only osteopenia to start taking drugs.  I won't ever take any of the drugs.  Under the circumstances I would be very wary of a new drug in the class which includes Forteo simply because it hasn't been proven that this medication is safe.  At least we have some track record for Forteo. I feel that the elderly people of the Western world are guinea pigs.  And cash cows.  frowneeklol

• Posted

No.  My doctor was quite keen for me to take AA when I started on prednisone for polymyalgia, but didn't press the matter.  I did a lot of reading and talked to friends, and in the end I've gone the natural way and successfully got my t-score from -2 to -1.6 (in one year).  I know this is a lifelong thing, I will always have to eat right and get enough of the right exercise, but I think it's better than the alternative.  I won't be eligible for another scan for a couple more years, maybe longer, so fingers crossed that things are still going in the right direction! 

• Posted

I’m sorry to hear about your polymyalgia. It seems everyone on this site has a hurdle to get through. I am wiser now about taking drugs for my osteoporosis. The hardest part of this is to accept that I will always have to eat right, exercise, and avoid my doctors advice.  I feel I’ve always taken very good care of myself my entire life but now I realize it was not enough post menopausal and perhaps the drugs I was told to take for osteopenia contributed to my condition. I had back surgery in 2015 for DDD with osteoporosis. It was so bad I developed scoliosis and began to have leg and continent issues. Now I have fusion hardware at L4/5 with tilt at L3/4 plus the osteoporosis. But it could always be worse! 
    • Posted

Oh dear, that sounds rough.  Do hope you are feeling better.
    • Posted

Thank you. Yes and no. I’m sure it could be far worse. 
  • Posted

Bonnie, there is so much you can do. Also, do not panic too much about your tscore. Some of mine are worse and I am trying to do this naturally.

Foodwise include the following:

avocados

yoghurt

hard cheese

oats and pearl barley

grass fed meat

bone broth

cucumber

leafy greens

prunes

vegetables and fruit

Drop sugar and white flour if possible and concentrate on quality nutrients. It is okay to  have occasionally. I only have on birthdays and Xmas, for example.

Vitamin K2 is probably the most important supplement as it aims the calcium onto the bones.

I do not have magnesium every day but fairly regularly.

Anhaga is reliable as she is has researched thoroughly.

• Posted

....consider taking Boron which prevents bone leaching out.
    • Posted

For boron include the following in your diet as it is better to get this one naturally:

prunes

oranges

bananas

avocados

broccoli

almonds

walnuts

beans

chickpeas

legumes

raisins

pears

vegetables

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.