OT Assessment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Not really sure where I should post this so please bear with me. I have cerebral palsy and chronic mental health issues. I live alone but finding it extremely difficult to manage day to day living. This is due to both a combination of my physical impairment and mental state. My cp makes it impossible to have a bath (I have no shower) and things like taking rubbish to the bin is too difficult due to the weakness in my arms. I am severely depressed which makes it worse. E.g stopped washing clothes etc. Anyway am under the care of mental health team but they basically ignore my disability. I get very annoyed and they think I 'manage'. Psychiatrist did finally refer me for a home OT Assessment which apparently will be done by the mh team. I am so worried about letting them in my home its in a terrible state and I know I will be soon evicted if it doesn't get cleaned up. I'm terrified.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sarah, so sorry about your problems. Your GP should I think refer you to OT and you should be able to discuss your concerns with your doctor. However I do know that not all GPs do what they are supposed to. I googled cerebel palsey and there are several organisations offering advice etc. If you haven't done this please do so. The OT assessor needs to see your home to be able to judge what can be done to help you. If it's in a state it is because you cannot manage and they need to see this.Hope you get some better help soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your response Linda. I tend to avoid my GP due to having such difficult time getting an appointment, seeing one that is any good. Been meaning to change my practice for a while now.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I am a retired OT with experience in both MH and physical disability.

This is a very brief answer to your query but I hope you find it helpful. The aim of OTs is to enable people to achieve their optimum ability, independence and self esteem. They do that by helping with equipment which might help you to do things more easily; by altering your environment to make things easier for you to manage and maybe by helping you to do things differently (different methods, different times, different order, etc). Obviously, a thorough assessment is the first step and then you and they  can agreee how to proceed. What is most important? What do you want to tackle first? I am sure you will find their intervention helpful and a really positive experience. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you Lesley for your response. I think my biggest concern is being judged. I feel very ashamed of my situation and worried what they will think of me.
  • Posted

Can you pay someone to clean your house?  If not, don't worry.  They will see you need help and can have a home agency come in weekly or how many times you can afford.  If money is tight, there is medicaid to pay for such help.  A social worker would come out and assess and get you going from there.  You wouldn't be thrown out.  With the physical disability you just need help with it being no fault of your own.

• Posted

No-one is going to judge you. The OT only wants to help you get to a place where you feel happy and in control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.